Thursday, November 01, 2007

Please don't let it end

Here's a wrap up for October and a look forward to November. The only bad thing about October is that I was out of commission for 10 days. I played pretty well and ran better, but didn't have the days to put in the hands. I wouldn't say that I put many bad beats on people, but I won my share of flips and had my hands hold up well. Looking back to the worst month I've had -- August -- the most significant thing that I've done is tighten up from early position. I was actually more passive postflop this month than in the past.

Here are the pretty pictures. The sample size this month is too small, but it is what it is, and since it's the end of the month, I'll put up what I have.







It looks like I still need to loosen up in LP. I'm a little surprised that my turn and river aggression is as low as it is...I'll have to make sure that I'm not letting people off the hook, and that I'm not just calling down too much. Reviewing my hands, I don't see too much of it, and there were a couple times I remember in big pots letting people bet hands for me. Like I said, the sample is pretty small (although not that small for things like VPIP, PFR, and AF). The results are good, so hopefully, the postflop stats are from making the correct adjustments and picking my spots.

October Goals Review
  1. 7,000 hands. Didn't quite make it. I had a little less time than I thought. My MT ratio was 3.16, which is a bit lower than normal. I have been paying a little more attention to table quality, so perhaps that is it.
  2. Active community participation. Did OK here, especially towards the end of the month after I got caught up at work. Over the last week, I've tried to participate better on the CR forums, as well as the blog rotation for the study crew. I could do better on both counts, though.
  3. Review hands. I reviewed 89% of the hands I played. It's fun to review when you see yourself dragging big pots, but I'm nervous about the fact that I didn't really identify any new systemic problems (leaks). Usually I've got 2 or 3 things to really focus on, and for now it's just the same things.
  4. Review CR videos. It doesn't count if I just watched, I need to actively watch, which means pausing on decision points to see how close I come to what the pros do, and where different, note it and try to figure out why we're different if the pro doesn't provide an explanation. I did that with only 6 videos. I watched several more, but I'm not giving myself credit for them.
  5. Play tight UTG. My button VPIP was 3x my UTG VPIP.
  6. Practice hand reading. Not going to give myself credit for this one since I didn't devote enough time to reviewing PT hands that went to showdown. I think that in general I did a good job in my own play and in my own hand review, and even watching videos, but that was not the criteria I set for this goal.
  7. Study sessions. I'm neutral on this one. I did two, one of which I was the subject (target ;)) of the review. I missed one while on vacation, and another week (this week) my schedule did not match up with the group....tried to get something going for today as a makeup, but it looks like we're missing each other.
November Goals

The goals have been working, so they'll remain for the most part.
  1. Play 8,000 hands. I know I'll be out of commission for at least a few days around the Thanksgiving holiday, so let's call the goal 2,000 hands/week. I will be moving up to 100NL, so may be playing less tables as well, for a bit anyway.
  2. Active community participation. I had set a number of posts (with content) before, but it's too painful to keep track, so this one will just be a judgment call.
  3. Review 75% of my hands.
  4. Active study of 8 CR videos.
  5. Review showdown hands in PT. All showdown hands in a 1,000 hand block, whether or not I'm involved in the hand.
  6. Study group participation.
For the time being, I'm going to cross-post between blogger and CR.

4 comments:

losbert said...

That looks like a pretty good and consistent month Marc. As you've said on my blog, we have similar issues with regards to Aggression Factor. I'm going to make a post in the forum to find out what the suggested ideal figure should be.

Good luck for November.

RakebackFAQ said...

Great month Marc i think your stats look good the LP could be higher but it also could be your being careful V certin opponents. If I was you id just try and repeat the month you just had.
I think that at 100nl is where 3 betting comes DOGEYKEN has wrote some good stuff on there UK2B blog you should give it a look.

All the best with November

DODGYKEN said...

Great stats over small sample Mark. The stats look really solid - and I think the AFs are fine. Keep doing whatever you're doing!

Marc said...

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I looked at the post about AF, but didn't have anything to add other than what I posted on your blog, Chris.