Friday, November 30, 2007

Biggest losers



November's basically in the books, and overall the month has been OK. I'll have all the regular pictures next week, but here are my biggest losers. The sample size is smallish, but I'm going to look through and see whether I can identify major problems I'm getting into with them. A lot of them are probably going to be one really big pot, but losing 2+ stacks with the same hand in only 13k total means it's more likely than usual I made a mistake, rather than just got coolered.

I made a video last night 4-tabling 100NL at Full Tilt, and this time, the sound worked :). There were a number of interesting spots, and I basically broke even during the course of the video, although I was up almost 2BI for the session thanks to stacking people on one table as I was waiting for the other tables to open up. I'm not sure if the cards were better last night or if I just knew more what to expect in terms of making the video, but it seemed to go a lot more smoothly. Probably some of both.

In 318 hands, I lost more than 20BB four times, and I didn't get stacked, although I did lose over 120 BB in two combined hands against the same 56/11/4 villain (my luck seems to be crappy lately against the 50+ vpip'ers). Coincidentally, they were both JJ hands. I would not have been surprised to find JJ and other high-mid pairs on the top of my loser list, since I probably need to develop a sense of when to invest a lot in overpairs and when to let them go.

The first hand was this one. Preflop and flop seem standard. My intent on the turn was to get a cheapish showdown with a bet, then check behind the river. A guy like this is certainly calling with a wide range, not necessarily a king. But the raise tells me all I need to know, IMO.

The biggest hand of the session was this hand. He had pushed me off a hand before, and was aggressive in general. I thought that I could well be ahead and on the river he might bluff a missed draw or try to value bet a worse pair that he would otherwise have folded to my bet. But I don't think looking at it now that I can afford to invest so much on the river, history and stats notwithstanding. I needed to make a blocking bet small enough that I can get away if he raises, but that he might call with a marginal made hand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hand 1: analysis is great, maybe check behind on turn if u wanna get to showdown, and call a decent river bet?

hand 2: if he's real aggressive monkey i don't mind the play at all, otherwise like you mentioned a blocker bet might have been best bet.