Wednesday, November 14, 2007

User experience for posting hands

It's been a while since I just posted some hands. A lot of good poker players post hands on their blogs, but as a reader, I've always found the forum interface more compelling. The best thing for me, from a learning standpoint, is getting into a running conversation about how a hand illustrates a concept or two. It seems like blogs aren't conducive to that as much as forums (or email, chats, etc.). But I have noticed that the act of typing out my thoughts is a good learning tool, regardless of how much conversation goes on, so I'm going to start grabbing some hands to post in the blog. If any seem really interesting, or I don't think I have a good answer for myself, I'll try to post more of those on one forum or another. I'll also try to post no more than 4 hands at a time, so in case a conversation does break out, it won't be going all over the place.

With that....

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com Hand History Converter

UTG: $165.50
MP: $94.75
CO: $84.05
Hero (BTN): $118.30
SB: $99.70
BB: $118.85

Pre-Flop: Tc 7c dealt to Hero (BTN)
2 folds, CO calls $1, Hero raises to $5, 2 folds, CO calls $4
Villain is 47/5/4.5 over a pretty small sample, and no history. I've been trying to abuse the button position a little more, hence the raise. Not something I'm making a habit of yet, just trying some stuff out.

Flop: ($11.50) 7d 7h Qs (2 Players)
CO checks, Hero bets $7, CO raises to $21, Hero calls $14

Turn: ($53.50) 6s (2 Players)
CO bets $25, Hero raises to $92.30 and is All-In, CO folds

In a sweat session last week, Noel talked about allowing an aggressive opponent to keep bluffing. From a decent villain, when I make the 2nd call, I shouldn't be getting any more action from a hand less than trips. In that case push or call probably don't make much difference because he's likely to be check/folding the river. But just by this guy's stats, he's probably a poor player, and he's aggressive postflop to boot. So, the money is much more likely to go in with him betting on this board than by calling. Raising this turn is a significant error, IMO.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com Hand History Converter

UTG: $111.95
MP: $18
CO: $214.80
Hero (BTN): $102.15
SB: $98.45
BB: $103.55

Pre-Flop: Qh Ks dealt to Hero (BTN)
3 folds, Hero raises to $4, SB raises to $13, BB folds, Hero raises to $30, SB raises to $98.45 and is All-In, Hero folds

Another somewhat experimental hand, 4-betting light. Villain is 20/14, but only has a 1.1 postflop AF. We don't have a lot of table history, but he is really aggressive from the blinds when the pot is unraised. Interestingly (although I didn't know this at the time), his PFR from BB is significantly higher than any other position -- 25%, while only 15% from both BTN and CO. I had not been out of line on the table, but it was looking like with his stats, he would not be afraid to take a stand against a standard steal, and I thought a lot of his range would fold to a 4-bet. Admittedly, I haven't really thought about the pros and cons of 4-betting light in much detail, and such plays as this are probably much better served to wait until I have thought about this more.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com Hand History Converter

BTN: $43.05
SB: $109.25
BB: $191.65
Hero (UTG): $100.05
MP: $148.40
CO: $104.25

Pre-Flop: Qh Qs dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to $4, MP raises to $14, 4 folds, Hero calls $10
Villain is 21/16/1.4, and somewhat positionally aware, but only over 109 hands, so I'm not sure about that. I think he's got a decent range for 3-betting me, but I'm afraid that 4-betting turns my hand into a bluff.

Flop: ($29.50) Ac 4c Ts (2 Players)
Hero checks, MP bets $22, Hero calls $22
He's not aggressive, so without an ace or better, I don't think he fires again. So, my thinking was that I can get to the river with one call, and my hand has some showdown value. Looking back at it, I'm only ahead of 88 (slight possibility any lower PP), 99, JJ, and maybe KQs. I'm behind a lot more, so this is probably a fold.

Turn: ($73.50) 9h (2 Players)
Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($73.50) Kh (2 Players)
Hero checks, MP checks

I can't really see the sense of putting any more money in the pot, but I included the streets just in case someone thinks I should bet. But again, I think it's an easy check/fold. And to be results-oriented, I did get a free showdown out of that flop call.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com Hand History Converter

BB: $98.50
Hero (UTG): $129.80
MP: $95
CO: $83.40
BTN: $138.05
SB: $220

Pre-Flop: Th Tc dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to $4, MP folds, CO calls $4, 3 folds
Less than 20 hands on villain.

Flop: ($9.50) 7h Ks Qs (2 Players)
Hero bets $7, CO calls $7
I think the c-bet is fine, but I could see giving up. If he's got a suited hand and/or straight draw, I would like to protect. When he flat calls, I want to be cautious, even with the draws out there, since a K or Q is possible. A strong hand would probably raise due to board texture.

Turn: ($23.50) Qd (2 Players)
Hero checks, CO checks
I think my hand has some showdown value. I don't want to lead that turn, as no worse hands are very likely to call.

River: ($23.50) 3h (2 Players)
Hero checks, CO bets $12, Hero calls $12
After I show more weakness on the river, I think I'm OK to call that 1/2 pot bet. It could be a king scared of a c/r, but also none of the draws came in.

2 comments:

Bazclef said...

Hand 1: Like your line but I'd probably just flat call the turn and be happy to call any bet on the river.

Hand 3: I generally just check-fold the A-high flop, but I think I play these to weak/tight. On the turn if he has AK he would bet for sure to protect, AQ is a small possibility. I like just trying to see a cheap showdown here as played, I don't think you have any fold equity. You'd only fold out hands you're beating. He's probably not folding AJ/AQ especially because your line doesn't look like AK. You can't value bet here either, so checking it down is the best option. I'd put him on JJ?

Hand 4: Cbet is fine heads up, any more players and I'd just be checking. Nice check and analysis on turn, and again on river. I like your call, he'd bet here with such a wide range that it's a really easy call. I think he's hardly ever got the K here, Q is possible but a small part of his range. Busted draw makes up a big part of his range. Getting 3-1, call call call.

Nice hands.

RakebackFAQ said...

Hand 1:
I like your though process on this but i would tightin up against someone that loose i know you want to abuse your position but your not going to hit the board with 10 7 all the time and it dosent look like he likes to give up on pots. The hand itself i think you explained the best way to play it.

Hand 2:
I think you played this perfectly. I think that someone who has a good grasp of hand ranges this would be an easy decision for i dont so i dont know the right answer i think this is a good one to post on the forums and send to your coach.

Hand 3:
I like Baz's answer i also like to 4 bet here PF out of position to make it more expensive for him to play the pot.
As played i think you plyed it ok i think he has AJ or JJ?

Hand 4:
I think you controlled this pot very well. IMO you have to represent the K here as you raised utg. I think a call at the end is fine but think he does have the K with a spade kicker.

Some good hands there