Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Some Overpair Hands

I'm back from wedding fun and cleared off some important to-do items at work. Haven't played that much, but here are some overpair hands that happened somewhat recently. I really feel like I overplay overpairs, although in looking back through my biggest losers, I actually got money in good (either pushing or betting/raising), only to get coolered. Here are 3 hands where I'm either not sure or pretty much hate my play (you tell me which :) ).

Hand 1: Not many hands on villain....less than 40, but he was 38/20 over them.

$0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

SB: $50.95
Hero (BB): $56.45
UTG: $37.15
CO: $22.25
BTN: $32.90

Preflop: Hero is dealt Kc Kh (5 Players)
UTG raises to $1.00, CO calls $1.00, 2 folds, Hero raises to $5.00, UTG calls $4.00, CO folds

Flop: ($11.25) 6h 7d Qh (2 Players)
Hero bets $10.50, UTG calls $10.50

Turn: ($32.25) 3s (2 Players)
Hero bets $22.00, UTG calls all-in for $21.65
Uncalled bet of $0.35 returned to Hero

Note he didn't start with a full stack here, so I figured he'd call for 2/3 pot on the turn with any queen, and perhaps the NFD as well as possibly (but unlikely) JJ and TT. OK? Spew?

Hand 2: BTN is super LP preflop, although he's a little more aggro postflop (80/1/1.1 over 150 hands), and shows down a lot. He's run well, which might account for more aggression postflop than you'd expect for someone that LP preflop, and also why he shows down a lot. Of course sample size isn't that big either.

$0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

SB: $34.35
Hero (BB): $25.85
UTG: $24.65
MP: $21.75
CO: $9.55
BTN: $35.50

Preflop: Hero is dealt Qc Qh (6 Players)
UTG folds, MP calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, BTN calls $0.25, SB folds, Hero raises to $1.50, MP calls $1.25, CO folds, BTN calls $1.25

Flop: ($4.85) 7c 6d 6c (3 Players)
Hero bets $4.85, MP folds, BTN....

What I want here is a plan depending on BTN's action. What is the plan if BTN calls and the turn blanks? What if BTN raises my c-bet? Finally, what if he just shoves?

Hand 3: SB is 20/8/2.5 over ~80 hands. I have a note on him that he got it in with TP in a marginal situation. Over ~60 hands, UTG is 74/14/2.2!

$0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

SB: $33.70
BB: $24.80
UTG: $21.15
MP: $46.25
Hero (CO): $37.80
BTN: $25.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt Ad As (6 Players)
UTG calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.50, BTN folds, SB calls $1.40, BB folds, UTG calls $1.25, MP calls $1.25

Flop: ($6.25) 5s Jd 5c (4 Players)
SB checks, UTG bets $2.00, MP folds, Hero calls $2.00, SB calls $2.00

Turn: ($12.25) Qs (3 Players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $9.20, SB raises to $24.00, UTG folds, Hero raises all-in to $34.30, SB calls all-in for $6.20

I would normally raise the flop, but I wasn't too worried about SB getting ahead of me...I figured he would fold, and I was looking for a way to get more out of UTG. My plan was to raise his expected turn bet. I'm OK with betting the turn when it was checked to me, but I really don't like my push looking back on it, and I think I should get away from the hand. SB overcalled after a donk and the original raiser (me called), so he had to have a piece, and now SB takes a really strong line. Had SB and UTG been reversed, I would have liked my line OK. All that said, I was surprised at what SB had, but of course it doesn't change how good my decision is.

6 comments:

Gregory Lynn said...

H1: I don't see a problem.

H2: I bet a blank on the turn and probably re-raise a flop raise. A push I probably fold.

DODGYKEN said...

Hand 1: I'd play it the same way.

Hand 2: If he calls then I'd probably bet the turn as well. It'll be $14ish so I'd bet around $10-11 I think. It probably commits you if he raises though so I'm not 100% sure about that advice!

I'd probably just go with this hand if he raises (whether it's a smaller raise or a push). Too many times you'll see a lower pair than QQ or A7/K7/etc. Sometimes he'll have the 6 but more often not.

Hand 3: I'd raise the flop here I think. Not always, but more often than not. As played, I check behind on the turn. There aren't really any draws out and I don't like the SB calling that much. If they check to you on the river you can value bet, or you can call their bet. It looks like the SB had a 5 but he could also be overvalueing QJ I guess. I'd probably fold to the turn check-raise.

chris said...

Hand 1: i see no problem

hand 2: I would bet a safe turn card and if he raised i would probably just go with the hand.

Hand 3: I raise on the flop, but as played i probably fold to his turn checkraise.

AppleSeed2082 said...

Hand 1. Well played.

Hand 2. This is pretty standard bet all the way for value. If he calls and turn is a blank, i'm betting 3/4 pot.

If a Ace, King, or club hits. I'll bet 1/2 pot and see what he does. If he calls, I shut down and if he raises i'll probably fold. Very unlikely for these loose passive to bluff on a scare card when you show so much aggression.

Hand 3. Wow how come 3 bet's get no respect at this level? If so, I'm reraising to $2.5 to clear the field a little. (juicy table)

You gotta reraise the flop and see where you stand because it's a 4 way pot. Some limper could had limped in with a 5 and you want to find out right now if they have it.

As played, I would play the turn the same way because of your read on villian that he overplays top pair.

DWarrior said...

Can you please change your blog settings to display the full message in the feeds? I prefer to read all the blogs from Google Reader, but your messages get cropped off after one paragraph.

To change it, go to your blog Settings, then click on Site Feed (3rd option from the right), and change the Allow Blog Feed setting to Full.

DWarrior said...

Looks like you changed it, working great now thanks.