Friday, July 06, 2007

Good enough implied odds to call down?

Villain here was on 2 of my tables, 3-betting (not me) a few times on the other one, and I think that he might be a 2+2'er, if not also a CR member. He was a bad guy to have position on me, and I was going to leave, except he beat me to it, but not before this happened.

I hadn't seen him show down anything, and he was 19/15/4.5 over 97 hands. So, here's my problem....I know he's 3-betting pretty liberally, and I have a hand w/good implied odds and position, but am not sure how to parlay that against a solid aggressive player. I guess it's a good thing I don't have to worry about it that often, but here I'm pretty sure I did the wrong thing getting involved, since I didn't have a confident plan, and I let him pretty much control the hand.

Let's say that you decide you are going to get involved....what do you guys do and why?

$0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

SB: $46.50
BB: $9.60
UTG: $7.15
MP: $8.55
CO: $25.60
Hero (BTN): $46.50

Preflop: Hero is dealt 9s 8s (6 Players)
3 folds, Hero raises to $0.95, SB raises to $3.00, BB folds, Hero calls $2.05

Flop: ($6.25) Ks 2s Tc (2 Players)
SB bets $4.00, Hero calls $4.00

Turn: ($14.25) Qh (2 Players)
SB bets $8.00, Hero calls $8.00

River: ($30.25) Ad (2 Players)
SB bets all-in for $31.50, Hero folds

8 comments:

Noel said...

When I do tangle with decent TAG players I like to pick my spots carefully and have position and play the role of the aggresor. In this spot he could be 3betting light from the blinds therefore I think if you want to get involved and show a little muscle 4bet it. You cant only 4 bet monsters. Also it is an easy muck if he shoves. The way it was played wasnt bad either. I think this is a better hand to call 3 bets with then say KQ or J10 as you cant get in too much trouble unless he makes a higher flush. I might raise this flop to try and take it down as he Cbets most any hand on the flop after 3 betting and if he missed or has an 1010-QQ he will be hard pressed to call. If he raises of course the argument is you cant call with your draw anymore but I think a raise on this flop is +EV in the long run. I know if I 3bet from the blinds here and led w/JJ and got raised it would be real fucking hard for me to call.

losbert said...

I know you were calling him down for implied odds but did you consider Raising him at any point on the flop or Turn so that you could have established where you were in the hand.

I possibly may have even folded on the flop or turn. Chasing Draws has cost me alot of money lately.

michaeyk said...

I agree, this could be money better spent 4 betting. At some point you have to put in a raise to see where you are, looking at it this way, it's cheapest to do it early.

AppleSeed2082 said...

There's a good chance he has a higher flush than you and even if you hit the flush, will he pay you off?

So I think, it's best to reraise the flop and see where u are at. If he calls on the flop, u can ck the turn down for a free card or fold to a flop reraise.

I think you can pick a better spot vs a tag. He'll probably have a Ak or a higher flush draw here alot of times if he goes all the way with you.

If the flop was, 10c 2s 8s. I would call down because there is a good chance he only has over cards and try to play a small pot.

mongoose said...

if i got involved . . . i'd have played it just like you. that's why i don't get involved in those hands.

after seeing the comments though, the alternative line that i like best is the fold/raise decision at the flop.

you have position, and you take the lead away from him. you'd lose just as much money, but be more certain of your standing.

and, it should buy a free card, getting you to the river for the same price.

Marc said...

Some really good thoughts here, and I agree I've got to put in a raise/reraise on one of the earlier streets. I think there's definitely a time and place to do this (make a stand with such a hand) if you're up against a solid regular (as opposed to a maniac who you have less FE against, anyway).

shawn said...

I think on the flop a nice raise to figure out how strong he is would be nice.

Pistol said...

I absolutely love a pref lop 4 bet here. As played i probably raise the flop.

As played fold the turn.