Thursday, July 12, 2007

2 hands: Set and TP

Wow, I have been slammed. I played poker mostly vicariously this week, watching michaeyk tear it up in a sweat session. For myself, I've only played a couple hundred hands this week, and if I don't play tonight, that's probably it....leaving town tomorrow for a wedding....fun stuff, but no poker. OK, with that sob story out of the way, here are today's hands:

Hand 1: Villain is 35/25/3.5 over about 100 hands; I don't recall any other reads on him.

No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 4 Players - (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

SB: $24.75
BB: $14.85
UTG: $35.70
Hero (BTN): $25.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt 9c 9s (4 Players)
UTG raises to $0.85, Hero calls $0.85, 2 folds

Flop: ($2.05) 9d Jh 3c (2 Players)
UTG bets $1.75, Hero calls $1.75

Turn: ($5.55) 4c (2 Players)
UTG bets $4.25, Hero calls $4.25

River: ($14.05) Ts (2 Players)
UTG checks, Hero bets all-in for $18.15, UTG folds
Uncalled bet of $18.15 returned to Hero

Pot Size: $14.05 ($0.70 Rake)

I've got several questions here....first against a guy this LAG, do you isolate preflop, or is it OK to just cold call and play for your set? I feel pretty good about the cold-call, just checking.

Second, my plan is to use his aggression to build the pot. I would have raised the flop or turn if there were an ace or king maybe, figuring he wouldn't let go with TP, but I usually wait for the river if the board isn't too threatening. Should I normally be raising an earlier street?

Third, if that's my plan, should I still be overbetting the pot on the river when he checks, or go for more of a value bet size?

Hand 2: Villain is semi-loose, and is also on another one of my tables, although I don't have a lot of hands on him. I think he was like 33/6/3 over 50-ish hands when this hand happened.

No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

SB: $19.40
BB: $34.25
UTG: $28.30
Hero (MP): $25.00
CO: $16.85
BTN: $37.45

Preflop: Hero is dealt Ks Jc (6 Players)
UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.95, 3 folds, BB calls $0.70

Flop: ($2) 3h Kd 8s (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1.60, BB calls $1.60

Turn: ($5.20) 9d (2 Players)
BB bets $3.00, Hero calls $3.00

River: ($11.20) 3d (2 Players)
BB bets $8.00, Hero folds
Uncalled bet of $8.00 returned to BB

Pot Size: $11.20 ($0.55 Rake)

On the turn, I was planning to check behind and call a bet on the river, but his donk bet on the turn spooked me. The flop was dry and the turn didn't bring any obvious help. I have a feeling calling is the worst option, but to me a fold felt too weak to just that bet, and a raise doesn't net me anything if I'm ahead, and obviously costs me if I'm behind. So, I called, hoping that he would let the river check through. With that in mind, it kind of makes sense to be calling the river, since I'm under-representing my hand and he's aggressive postflop, but his bet seemed like he wasn't looking for a fold.

So, what do you think, did I get pushed off the best hand? Should I have pitched it on the turn?

5 comments:

Noel said...

Hand 1: I like to 3bet a lag here preflop though set mining is fine too but he less likely to pay you off unless he too has a big hand. The slow play on the flop isnt bad as there is a straight draw he can put you on but I am raising the turn. If he has a hand or a draw on the turn he will call your bet otherwise if he is on a bluff you are never getting value on the river unless he hits.

Hand2: Raise KJ off in MP? I think this is too loose for the 25NL or any game for that matter just a tough hand to play if CO or Bttn call. This is one of two things and usually it is this. he flopped a pair with a backdoor flush draw and now he donk leads trying to get to the river cheap. Or he had 89 or K9 and made two pair. This looks like the flush draw w/ a pair though. I ay raise the turn and if he 3bets its an easy fold. You should raise enough to make is flush draw -EV.

michaeyk said...

Hand 1: I think set mining fine, he is an UTG raiser and could have a big hand. Raise somewhere to try to get him more committed to the pot by the river. I think a value bet on the river would be better as played. There are many hands better than top pair, by overbetting you make it easy for him to fold.

Hand 2: I would have raised him on the flop. When you just call you really don't know where you stand. It's cheaper the earlier you do it.

losbert said...

Hand 1 with the money he has in front of him, calling pre flop is fine. Reraising is an option also. I would have reraised him on the turn if nothing else to find out where you are. Leaving it to the river to show strength can be dangerous as alot of the time you are only going to get called by a better hand.

Hand 2, I agree with you on the turn. I think you need to reraise hom here and if he raises back at you get away from the hand.

AppleSeed2082 said...

Hand 1. I agree with Noel. I 3 bet preflop all day vs this type of lag on the button. He probably doesn't have a hand and i'm trying to get some value on pock 9.

I 3 bet preflop because I can rep AK and pock 10-AA. Once the flop hits, my hand is well disguised if a 9 hits and i can rep all those other hands i mentioned. If he shows strength postflop, pock 9 is easy to get away from.

BTW, Calling is fine too and a lower variance play because you know he's going to bet the flop and you can trap him if you hit the set.

As played, I like the call on the flop. On the turn, I would raise it to $12 because there is a flush/str8 draw out and i want to get value for my flop set. On the river, I don't like the push. I would bet $7-$10 into the $14 pot to get some value. He might call you with 2nd or 3rd pair but not when you push.

Hand 2.

Since you don't have much read on this guy, you have to reraise the turn. I would make it $7-9 and see what he does. If he reraises you, you can safely fold because i doubt he will bluff you when you showed so much strength.

If he calls, and checks on the river. You could either check it down or make a small value bet.

Marc said...

For the first hand, I agree, I need to raise somewhere before the river, and I think you can make a case for any street preflop through turn.

On the second hand, I won't always play KJ, but I will lean more towards opening in MP than folding, especially if I've been pretty quiet or showing down strong hands. But I see the value of raising on the turn.

The first hand, I tried to be too clever for my own good, and the second hand I just played too timidly -- I need to tone down some aggression in my game, but evidently there are times when I also need to ratchet it up. Thanks for the comments!