Thursday, July 05, 2007

Slumping -- but this is (hopefully) not a whine post


Well, July hasn't started any better than June finished :(. I think I'm now at 11 sessions in a row in the red. I'm pretty sure my biggest problem is not folding marginal hands. I don't so much call them down as I spew a 2nd (or even 3rd) barrel before admitting I'm beat. Well that, and my good hands are not holding up.

My confidence is actually still pretty high, even as my frustration grows, but maybe it shouldn't be. Below is a semi-recent snapshot of 25 and 50 NL. That's a brutal downswing (IMO) and a fairly long breakeven stretch. I don't spew *that* much, and I'm hesitant to just explain the rest of it as variance.



I don't play that much to begin with compared to the rest of the of the guys on the forums -- this is actually over a couple months and change -- but I may drop my play volume down even more and start combing through my hands, watching vids, and posting to your blogs and on the forums. My primary goal is to get better at the game, and perhaps that will be better than trying to play through the slump.

If anyone would like to sweat me on a table or two, that would be cool, but my availability is pretty sporadic -- my wife believes poker should be a much lower priority for me than it is, and we have a lot of family stuff geared up for the summer. If anyone would like to get together for a group sweat, whether it be me or someone else, I'd also like that.

Alternatively or in addition to sweating, if anyone would be up to swap a session or two for offline review, I've found that to be a great learning tool -- for both the person reviewing as well as the person getting reviewed. It's pretty easy to do, but can take quite a bit if you are giving and digesting decent commentary.

I hope this post didn't come off too whiny, as other than the competitive frustration of wanting to win, my mindset is pretty decent. I think I've got a handle on the biggest change to make, and even on the coolers, I'm happy to see that I'm playing well enough to get the chips in ahead, even if I don't stay there.

3 comments:

mongoose said...

keep the poker in perspective time-wise.

i'm time crunched too at the moment, as far as sweating or reviews go, but i'll stop back from time to time and maybe an opening for something like that will appear later in the month.

chris said...

Yeah i would be down for a sweat session my aim is liquigas66 hit me up on there or send me a pm on cardrunners

Marc said...

@ mongoose....yeah always struggling with the perspective. i'm pretty time crunched as well, but hopefully later something works out for us. i'm trying to connect w/chris (below) and another guy as well.

@ chris: sent a PM on CR. Thx!