Monday, July 02, 2007

2 routine hands?

I don't think the following hands are particularly exciting, but they are interesting to me. I think I need to get a little passive sometimes to actually extract the most, but I still tend to pull the bet/raise trigger when playing. So, can you make a case to take a more passive line?

Also, I note that the tendency is for folks to format their hands using pokerhand rather than an inline converter. What do you guys think is easier for reviewing a fair number of posts....pokerhand or a nice inline converter? I'll try pokerhand this time around.

Hand 1
I think that you could make a case for not c-betting here. If ahead, I'm not too worried about many turn cards...even if he hits his flush on the turn, I've got a redraw. Also, he may take a stab on the turn when behind, and I'll be able to play a small pot in position with this hand. On the other hand, if I'm behind, I may have a hard time catching up. I think I'm OK with the fold. I'm really more interested to see if anyone routinely checks this flop behind.

Hand 2
Gotta love the BB specials :). My question is on the river whether here would be a good time to think about checking, either to induce a bluff or a mistaken value bet from a villain holding TP.

7 comments:

DODGYKEN said...

Hand 1: I'd play it the same way as you.

Hand 2: Nah, I'd play this the same too. Actually I'd probably bet a little less on the river. You want to get a call out of a top pair hand, or even a worse pair hand, and you can't guarantee that he's either on a draw, or that he'll bluff if you check.

Noel said...

Hand 1: I cant say that I routinely check behind here but it is definately soemthing to think about. As you said no turn card really hurts you and controlling the pot is key if you arent sure of where you stand in the hand. You have position so he will have to act 1st on the turn and by checking behind you may induce a turn bluff from villian. This flop might be the perfect check behind spot as villian might also put you on a slow playing a monster hand.

Hand 2: Flop and turn are pretty standard. If you know your villian as one to try and steal on the river when checked to this could be a good play. It looks like he missed his draw and was done with the hand. The problem is it is rare that a busted draw will firde the river when you have been betting it strong the whole way unless he reads your line as a busted draw too. I think Dodgy is right that you might bet smaller to induce a call or even induce a raise bluff.

All in all what I like about these posts is you are thinking beyond the hands. Loking for ways to improve even on hands where you won. Good stuff man.

AppleSeed2082 said...

hand 1.

I like the c bet on the flop because he is a unknown. I only ck the flop behind if villian is a known tricky or calling station. I don't want to build a big pot with 2nd pr and a draw heavy flop.

Flop.

I would call the ck mini r and see what he does on the turn.

Turn.

If he bets I fold/call depending on how big it is.

hand 2.

Sure, ck river to induce a bluff/supposed value bet but only if you got a solid read.

If not, i bet all the way for value. It's possible he could put you on a missed flush draw and call you with something very weak.


Let me repeat, don't make high level plays unless you got a solid read. When I first started playing, I would make these fancy plays with no reads and wonder why it never worked. Once I figured it out, I just play tag abc poker and only made plays when i had built a solid read.

mongoose said...

Hand 2: i'd bet 1/3 of the pot hoping to get just a little more out of him.

Marc said...

Thanks for the comments, guys, perhaps you are stopping me from getting too fancy in my play. I still think that checking behind in the first hand is close, even though I did make the c-bet, but the general theme of getting the money by playing ABC against worse players is spot on, and saving the fancier plays to use against the trickier players (which I had no reason to believe were my opponents in these hands).

chris said...

Hand 1: I would play the same way. But i do not think it would be a bad play to check behind some times
Hand 2:I would make a smaller bet on the river hoping to get a call from top pair. I do not like checking because he would call a bet with top pair but might be willing to check it down hoping it was good.

michaeyk said...

Hand 1: I cbet here.

Hand 2: I don't think you'll induce a bluff here, you may get a value bet; but accounting for both I would just bet out.

About an inline poker hand... I like the idea too. Another plus is that the poster can put comments inline with the hands.