Friday, September 26, 2008

I have a lot of notes

I'm really pretty good about taking notes.  Between theory notes from stuff I read/watch, detailed notes on videos, thoughts on hands that I screwed up, correspondence with people -- mostly coaches -- about hands and sweat sessions, and other assorted crap, I think I've got 30-50 pages of stuff accumulated over the years.  Oh, and I've got this blog.

The problem is I never really go back and review...with any sort of deep thought...most of it.  I watch so few videos compared to what's out there that I'll probably never go back and concentrate on watching the best ones.

I've got to figure out how to best organize everything so that I can easily access it later.  I'd like to keep things in Word because that works well to port to my iPhone, so I can review without even needing a connection (of course I'm also tempted to get through the next Deuces Cracked video on the phone, too).

Anyway, it's probably good to take a bunch of notes and even write in blogs because the act of doing that forces me to think a bit more about things.  I may not go back and refer to something WiltonTilt said in his math series six months ago, but I still remember some of the content because I went to the trouble of writing down and thinking about some key things.

In other news, I had a big conference to attend this week.  I played for about 90 minutes on Tuesday, and that's all I've had time for.  Next week, I'll be in Disneyland with the family (yeah, Disneyland, go ahead and laugh, but it is fun to be there with the kids).  I'll probably be able to get away with watching an iPhone video here and there, but no way is the computer getting opened for any stretch of time, unless the wife and kids are so exhausted that they fall asleep well before I do.

All told, it will be close to 3 weeks between serious playing, and that's probably fine.  I don't think I've been playing well lately, maybe I'm being results oriented.  I've had an absolutely terrible month, though, and I don't really feel confident at the tables with my decisions.  I think I end up playing OK, but a bit tentative...so I miss some value and probably tend to make too many hero calls.  At least that's the trend when I play without real confidence.  Hopefully, the break will end up erasing whatever lingering doubts remain and I'll have fun playing again.

1 comment:

Mr Fickle said...

I have started trying to organise my notes better lately too and am using excel spreadsheet.

Is work in progress and by no means finished but if you are interested I can e-mail you what I have done so far.