Sunday, September 07, 2008

Wild weekend

Poker's a sick game. 

Friday night I had my biggest winning session.  That was in spite of a pretty dubious stack-off a little deep, although based on game flow, it might have been OK.  I had a read that he would play a marginal overpair or AK as the nuts -- he was on tilt, and I was right...but I didn't have near the nuts either and he was just a little ahead of me.  I think we both played the hand spewtastically.  Or he just soul-read the shit out of me and pwned my ass.

Saturday night, I had my biggest losing session, $25 bigger than Friday's win.  So, basically, the weekend was for rakeback :P.  Saturday featured me getting stacked 5 times and losing 90 bb on another hand, while winning more than a half stack (barely) only once over the session.  One of the times I got stacked was absolutely retarded on my part, hitting TP on the river against a total maniac, but I did a terrible job with the hand, and lost way more than I needed.  Then there were the standard losses of getting all the money in once with 95% equity and once with 85% equity, and two middle set < top set hands.

The lessons from all this?  Without some bad play on my part, I'd be up a couple BI over the weekend.  From a results standpoint, that's probably the key thing...because of that and some other hands where I don't think I was good enough getting value, I could have had an overall successful weekend.

I'm also not winning big on a lot of my big hands.  Not when I get sucked out on or coolered, but when I'm ahead, a lot of the times people fold.  However, I think there is the danger of being too results oriented.  Because coolers go both ways, and I am getting sufficient action with a lot of equity; just in the short term it's not working out.  I'm making the +EV play and generating action.

The other thing I noticed looking through some medium hands is that I'm taking similar lines with bluffs as with made hands, and I'm apparently running into either better hands, better bluffs, or in some cases the hands I'm representing, which pretty annoying.  But the good thing is that I'm bluffing well in execution, if not necessarily timing.

Poker's a sick game.

No comments: