Wednesday, September 17, 2008

OK, I'm better

Was going to delete my last blog because I'm a little embarrassed by it...but it is what it is, and I was definitely ticked off last night.  My temper gets the better of me in a lot of competitive situations, and it usually hurts me some.  But that wasn't the case too badly last night for most of the session...really it was two hands right at the end that pushed me over the boiling point.  Up until then, even though I knew things weren't going my way overall, I was making the right decisions.  I had a lot of big hands preflop and on the flop, so it's not like I had to play great...they kind of played themselves.  But I did fine.

I'm still probably taking a break for a couple days, but that might have happened anyway.  One of my liabilities as far as poker is that I don't have a ton of time to devote to it.  I like it and wish I had more time, but I'm in no shape to support my family with poker, so playing full time is not an option.  The flip side is that I am fortunate to not have a bad week or month or whatever affect my life outside of poker.  Yeah, I dipped below the bankroll threshold I need to mix in some 1/2 games, but that just means I drop down to .50/1 and kick some ass there, or maybe head back over to Stars where I have a little cash idling and try and grind that roll up a little bit and hopefully get my confidence back.  Financially, I lost more than my entire poker roll in the stock market this week.

For additional perspective, I read a friend's blog who's going through a shitty ordeal with leukemia...he's been in and out of the hospital for almost a year now, away from home for weeks at a time going through various treatments that completely wreck his body.  He had one operation that was similar to a bone marrow transplant where there was a small, but significant, risk he would die.  A month ago, a week after he finally got clearance from the doctors to return to a 100% normal life, his routine tests showed that the leukemia had returned, and now he's back in the hospital undergoing chemotherapy again.  The good news is that the chemo apparently did its thing to the leukemia.  The bad news is that the side effects this time were absolutely horrible.  As I was reading Tom's blog, I imagined if he were reading mine, what he would think of me being so pissed off about a short bad stretch of poker.  Actually, he would probably understand, but still.

Oh, and the tennis last night went well, too.  I had the shot of the night, and did get a couple short lobs I was joking about in my last post.  But I hit away from the net guy like a gentleman.

To you guys who left some words of commiseration and encouragement to my last post, I really appreciate the support.  Thank you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like you're already well onto leaving it all behind. that last run looked like standard bad luck, which i tend to find much more encouraging than a series of hands where i say "OMG, what was i thinking?" during the review.

just avoid letting it snowball, and it'll all be fine, as you know.

Malfaire said...

one of my best memories from highschool was drilling a kid who was at the net right in the face after his partner lobbed badly. i dont feel bad because the little fuck made about 4 bad line calls earlier in the match.

good looks on the perspective -- if you read MYNAMEIZGREG's blog he actually has a shit ton of this understanding which is impressive for both his age and the lack of situations that you described. glad to hear your friend is doing better. life is precious and wonderful; we'd all do a little better to acknowledge that more in the perceived turmoil of our day-to-day.