Friday, August 01, 2008

Remind me why I do this again?



July was another fun month :(. Poker's a pretty sick game sometimes, as you know. It's frustrating to do a lot of stuff right, put in a lot of work, and have results like these. The thing is, I'm not (yet) a great player, and the smaller your win rate the bigger your swings, I believe. I'm just on a variance roller coaster (and yeah, I think variance accounts for a lot of the upswings as well as downswings...I'm not trying to only blame my bad results on variance).

I think I still enjoy it. By that I mean when I go a day or two without playing, I miss it...but who knows, I might just be a degenerate looking for a fix. I think I'd still like to prove to myself that I can be as good as I think I can...at least given what I choose to commit to the game. But also, seeing how hard some of the guys work, I guess my upside is somewhat limited without making enough of a life change to devote more to poker. And that's not going to happen, so my results will be what they'll be.

I still feel like my game is pretty solid, and now I've had enough coaching sessions with Jared that he can make an informed agreement. At the worst case, I suck less than my opponents (their mistakes are bigger), and sometimes I don't suck at all (yay me). The gap between me and my opponents isn't enough for me to overtake rake and variance, and not sucking doesn't mean I'm a sick player. Just a grinder, still learning.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You think very well about the game and ask the right questions. It is only a matter of time before you breakthrough and start to crush.

RakebackFAQ said...

I agree with Btimm soon enough it'll come. Some horrible sessions in between 8n 10k see lots of big pots lost. Might help to post some not for my vast knowlage but some other readers.

Run good this month!

Mr Fickle said...

Wow this graph is almost identical to my first 13k hands of July!

Keep battling Marc, you have had a tough time at the tables lately and
are overdue a nice run.

Things will fall into place and when it happens you will love poker again :)