Friday, November 06, 2009

Opportunity missed, opportunity gained

Rarity for me yesterday, I got to play two sessions, and one of them was pretty long, by my standards.  I play so many less hands than most of you guys (assuming I know who "you" are) that all my streaks/patterns/whatever are LOL sample size anyway.  But I was just shy of 900 hands across the two sessions.  And just about everything was going well in terms of finding the right seats, getting good situations to play, etc.  The only thing that didn't connect was villains' cards.  Which is pretty much the case for all sessions this month (again, LOL sample size).  I've yet to book a win, and in fact I'm losing over 21 PTBB/100 over that small sample.

You saw one of the hands last post, but there haven't been any other big pots where I didn't get most of the money in ahead or with 8-out-plus draws postflop.  The only other 200bb pot where the money went in with me behind I actually went runner-runner to win (flopped TP > turned trips > river top boat to beat his flopped bottom set -- like when does that ever happen to us?).

Just tons of medium size pots where villains seem to have better hands than I do, mixed in with a few suckouts.  Really, there's not a lot you can do when you get involved with looser players, waiting to make a hand and value bet them, except you never make a hand.  Make some c-bets on good boards, even some good barrel spots, but you have to be careful not to bluff those guys where they are likely to have a piece.  Good for aggression, not so good for bottom line.

In days past, several losing sessions would have a bigger ripple effect on my future sessions than I hope it is having now.  I feel like I am making basically solid plays (we'll see, shipped a few hands for confirmation off to my coach).  So, I'm treating this as an opportunity to work on my emotional game, and to keep making the plays that I believe are right, even when they're not working out.  In that way, there's a silver lining, as long as my bankroll continues to be able to withstand some time off the run-good train.