Friday, November 20, 2009

New digs

This week I moved my office across the street.  New location is in a  new building, finished about a month ago.  Nice to have everything brand new, and most of the kinks have been worked out.  Layout is really open, lots of cubes, glass walls on offices.  I like it, but it will probably cut down some of my poker study, unfortunately.  Even without the office change, I've been busy at work.  Even though it has not been the most interesting, it's fairly tolerable.

I've noticed a work/poker correlation.  As my poker results suffer, my enjoyment at work goes up, at least relatively speaking.  I don't think I'm good enough at poker for it to make financial sense to play for a living, even if my wife would go for it.  I figured that I would want to think my expectation is close to 2x my current salary, just from a financial standpoint.  That would allow for the following:

  • Increased (family) medical coverage
  • Increased risk
  • Variable cash flow
  • Ability to not be as good as I think I am, and still have some cushion :).

If I were to make the switch right now and just start playing out of my current poker roll, I'd be OK because I have at least 6 months of savings outside my roll.  But there are other, non-financial factors.  Namely, it would scare the sh*t out of my wife (whereas it would merely make me a little nervous).  But mostly, for me, I think that it would be tough to get back in at the same seniority level I've worked hard to attain, if I bailed for a while.

I may be "forced" someday to play professionally -- my field and company while doing well right now, is not growing, at least in the U.S.  I'm not in any imminent danger that I know of, but I also know several people who felt the same way shortly before they were laid off, so you never know.  During this current economic climate, it's been nice to know that if the worst did happen with my job and I couldn't find another, I'd have a backup plan with something between a prayer and full financial stability.

That is, if people would stop seemingly constantly going runner-runner on me to take pots!

No comments: