Monday, March 09, 2009

Back to the grind

Dropped Dad off at the airport last night and back to work today.  He moved to the East Coast when he retired, so we don't get to see much of each other any more, which sucks.  We went on our yearly ski trip.  It was raining the first day, except at the very top of mountain, but it turned into snow, and kept going for the next 36 hours or so...more than 80 inches total for the storm.  The first day, the powder was about thigh-deep, and the second day was waist-deep and more, basically bottomless.  The snow in the Sierras is pretty heavy, at least compared to places like Colorado and Utah, but it was still very nice!  Also, props to my dad, who is now old enough to ski for free at Squaw Valley, but still going down the black diamonds.

Almost no internet access last week, thanks to the storm (knocked out the WiFi, evidently) and no cell coverage in Truckee, at least where we were staying (the front desk said only Verizon gets coverage there).  So, I am hopelessly behind everyone's blogs, played hardly any hands, and of course have a mountain of stuff to catch up at work.  But, I don't think it will happen today...it's my daughter's birthday, so I'm going to cut out early and go out to a birthday dinner.

I did play a couple short sessions that were totally opposite.  In one I played bad and ran worse.  In the other, I played well and ran better.  Next week, my wife is going on a trip of her own -- with her sister, meeting her folks in Palm Springs -- so I should have some time to get in some hands, then.  I think that the bad session was more due to being stupid about forcing a session in because I haven't played much...I was exhausted and in a distracting environment.  I made a couple plays where I really knew better.

Looking forward to our next review session, too...the first one was great.  Hope to get caught up with everyone's blogs tonight and tomorrow...see you guys.

No comments: