Saturday, March 21, 2009

Puking in my mouth

Lost 5.5 BI in 916 hands, continuing to run like death.  Not that my play was stellar.  I haven't reviewed the whole session, but I lost 5 stacks in 4 hands.  2 of them were when I turned a set 3-way and made a really poor payoff when a backdoor flush got there and a TAG checkraised me...I knew I was in trouble, but made a terrible, undisciplined frustration call.  I thought villain was good, but he played the flop and turn pretty bad -- unless he was counting on me to pay off big on the river, which I did, so who knows, maybe he played it pretty well.  2 of the other stacks were trying to push people off hands, which I've been trying to do too much.  I'm glad I'm working some of that into my game, but it should be rare and opportunistic, rather than forcing it, which I think I'm doing.

Lost one more stack set over set where the guy made an awful call on the flop with 66 on a J54 board.  But I had him read for calling anything, so I shouldn't be surprised...I raised his c-bet big on a J54 flop and he called with 66.  Oh well.  Next biggest pot was 60bb lost when my trips lost to a straight.  I won 3 pots more than 100bb, so I had a decent amount of big pots go my way.

Kids' sports and other family activities will probably keep me away from the tables for a few days, unless I really try to squeeze in a session, which I won't do, in all likelihood.  I walked away from this session disappointed, but not feeling totally tilted.  However, it was the 4th loser in a row, and if my personal history is any guide, I could use a cooling off period.

In better news, my son's baseball team, which I coach, had opening day today, and the kids looked pretty good.  We definitely need to work on some stuff, but we've already come a long way since we started practicing a month ago.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You say you thought this reg was good but he made a few poor plays. While I am not saying he is good, I think we all make mistakes. The important thing is for us to notice them and capitalize on them, and not criticize them for making mistakes. Most likely I am preaching to the choir here, since I am pretty sure uyou do try and get these reads, just something I thought was worth mentioning. Hang in there, it always does turn around long term!

Marc said...

Yeah, totally get you. I was trying not to criticize him, at least just for the sake of criticizing him. I also did take a note on him. My point was to provide some context to how I played the hand. If I'd already had this read, I might have been able to find the fold that I needed to...I really didn't think he would play the hand the way he would. However, ultimately, I still needed to fold, so the fault is mine. The other point I was trying to make is that I justified his play, and perhaps what I thought was a bad play was actually not such a bad play.