Friday, December 07, 2007

Some responses to prior comments

Thanks for the insightful comments on my last post, guys...there was a lot of great thought in there, and I figured that I'd rather address them in a new post instead of another comment to the prior one.

@Willie: I will try to do a video showing my PT review, but it's not terribly exciting, I generally go through position stats, look at hands I played UTG, and then look through hands where there was more than a few BB's. I made a video for Verneer to review, and I could upload it for more general consumption, if you'd like. It's an hour long two tabling, but the last 20 minutes is PT review. I feel bad because I don't think I should be posting any vids without first doing a couple reviews of my own first, though. And I agree, the car analogy from that book is excellent.

@Barry: Yeah, the way that I review videos now takes me like 2x to 4x the actual length of the video. Like you, I do a lot of pausing and replaying, especially when I'm going to add some comments. The problem is that at work, there are too many interruptions and I don't necessarily want people to see me watching poker videos. At home, time is pretty scarce, and usually if I'm going to get hands in, that's it. So, the vids for some reason are really tough for me. If we had like 20 minute videos, it would not be so daunting, and I'm sure that I could participate in those a lot more. But the way it's going now seems to work for everyone else well, and I think that's great. I find it tough to go through a video 15-20 minutes at a time, for some reason...one thing I love about the format is getting into the flow of a game, and it's harder for me when the viewing time is all chopped up. That's a lot of the reason why I've hardly watched any CR vids, either.

I think I need to clarify too what I mean when I say that I review 75% of my hands. I don't sit there and look at the preflop decisions for each one...rather for each session or each day I'll review any hand that I won or lost more than 5BB...so I'm not looking at all the hands I folded preflop or picked up with a c-bet that wasn't called, etc. But if there were 1,000 hands that day and I looked through all the 5BB+ hands, I give myself credit for 1,000 hands reviewed, if that makes sense. Very similar to what you said, I just draw the line lower than 10BB. I just measure my completeness by # of hands, rather than # of sessions (tend to do them on a daily basis anyway).

As far as reviewing other peoples' hands when they went to showdown, yeah it's a bit of insanity with everything else going on, and that's why I never meet this goal :). I don't feel bad about it, but I do think that it would provide a really good amount of value. It is true that we can get some sense of hand reading by paying attention to what other people have as we review our own hands, and I do that, and I pay attention at the table as much as possible. This is just a little something extra, and like you say, it may not be that reasonable to get that done. I'm definitely not beating myself up about missing this goal. And it's true, I've got a number of my own leaks that I will get more bang for the buck fixing than doing this one.

No comments: