Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Playing Scared?

I'm still not playing much, but have been spending a bunch of time in PT going through hands. I'm playing OK, but not great. Since I went over to the Stars 50NL game, I find that I am making too many hero calls, even when obvious draws are getting there. It is significantly less aggro than the FT 100NL game, but I haven't really adjusted well.

One of the things that has jumped out at me is that even in winning sessions, I have some strange stats.



Sample size is pretty small, but this has been typical of my *winning* sessions the last couple weeks. The losing sessions have shown better stats. ("There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.") Playing just for certain stats is a recipe for disaster, IMO...you need to understand why you are making each play. But the point of stats in general is to give you a clue about where to look in your game to improve, at least in terms of self-evaluation.

I'm looking at these, and the thing that jumps out at me is that I'm playing scared. Specifically, I'm looking at my turn and river aggression, as well as my preflop raise to a lesser extent. Partly, I'm running pretty bad, winning at showdown very infrequently. I asked Verneer about what sorts of adjustments to make, but I wonder if it really is just a reflection of how you're running rather than how you're playing, at least over such a small sample. More telling is that combined with my turn and river AF, my won at showdown is low and I'm making some bad calls. If I were getting looked up a lot and losing, my turn and river AF would be higher (and to be fair, I would also be losing rather than winning). But the fact that they are so low when my VPIP is also low shows that I'm having a hard time getting away from hands when shown aggression.

Some of that is OK, but it goes back to the game adjustment. In an extremely aggressive game, I can afford to make some more marginal/heroic calls with marginal hands. Up against more bluffers and people who are looking for extremely thin value when shown weakness, you can call more. But I don't think to such an extent as I am, when it's two streets of calling.

Now, I don't feel as if I am actually playing scared...in fact the last few times I've felt pretty confident in my play overall, with only some isolated questions at game time, and the occasional poor decision. But the stats seem to tell a different story.

1 comment:

RakebackFAQ said...

Your VPIP and PFR look ok to me iam no expert with these numbers but it looks like your raising - missing the flop and getting called - and you kind of give up after that.
Went to SD is ok i think and the won part is pretty bad could be that your calling light QJ type hand 10 - Q - 7 - 2 - 3 board and losing to say Q 10 or your just 2nd best alot.
Could be just varience but its in the green so i wouldnt worry to much, when you win at SD 50%+ it'll be 10+BB/100

- Willie