Saturday, December 08, 2007

Software tilt

It's been a challenging week for me in terms of software, both for poker and for work. Grrr...I hate it when it doesn't go smooth.

On the poker front, most of my struggles were with Camtasia....I recorded a couple videos, but the sound ended up way ahead of the video. It was a weird problem because the audio quality was fine, some stuff just got skipped, I guess. No one on the Techsmith forums knew why it was happening, as it periodically does for people (and reading through some of the older respones was pretty hilarious...about as unhelpful a response in one as I've ever seen, when he was actually trying to help, I think). That aside, I wasted a good couple hours just researching. Aaron was awesome, both with his general Camtasia knowledge, and for getting me a copy of version 3 so I can try again with a presumably more stable version. The solution I finally found is actually a pretty simple workaround, and v3 evidently uses a lot more CPU to record, so it's good to know I at least have options.

The next piece of software frustration is with PAHUD. I restored a large datamining database, and now PAHUD has been re-creating the cache for 7 hours. I know it can take a long time, but there's no visual indication that anything is even happening, other than the task manager.

The good news is that a couple of my old scripts I used to use for Stars still work. I decided to give Stars a whirl again after one too many frustrating sessions on Full Tilt. I'm really comfortable with Full Tilt's software, and have gotten an add-0n called Full Tilt Shortcuts that makes playing there even easier. But the last few sessions, I've run bad and played a little too spewy...they seem to go together all too often.

I've had a number of hands where my reads were good in terms of putting people primarily on draws and taking good lines to get the money in while ahead...only to have the draws get there...not really beats or coolers, just opponents getting there. Then I had a guy who 3-bet me in position or in the SB on my button 4 times in 5 of my raises. The fifth one, I had Tc 9c, and I decided to call and CR any flop that hit me. The flop was Ts 8c 7c. I c/r, he pushes, I snap-call, and his KK holds up. You can argue I had no business calling the 3-bet preflop, and you're probably right, but if I can't get there somehow on that flop, I'm not getting there.

So, I'm going to say fuck off for a bit, Full Tilt, more to give myself a change of scenery than anything else. I still believe that with some table selection, I have the theoretical best of it at Full Tilt...there are good players no doubt, but enough poor ones as well that it should be profitable...but I am becoming my own worst enemy there as I lose patience and discipline. I don't have quite the roll at Stars as I do at Full Tilt, so I'll play some 50NL there for a bit. That'll be good anyway, as I re-adjust both to the different site, and to getting myself more in a good groove.

1 comment:

Mr Fickle said...

My analysis of a session is based on how good or bad I played my biggest 10 pots. I try to ignore BB/100 for individual sessions and hopefully the 'bottom line' will take care of itself if I play well consistently.

Poker tracker should give us a 'how well you played today' stat. Then we would all know where we stand!

I'm with you all the way on the enjoyment front - is all about winning for me too. Don't enjoy losing at anything and if I or my team are playing crap, I just want to be doing something else.

Good luck
Steve