Friday, December 26, 2008

December Update

Hey guys, sorry I've been so quiet, but really have not had much going on, poker-wise.  Tons of work and busy with the holidays, good stuff, not too exciting, though.  I have been playing short sessions a few days a week...wanted to make Iron Man this month so I could get a small year-end bonus at FT.

Got a new laptop a few weeks ago (wife and I gave each other laptops for Christmas :) ).  So, I've used some time getting it set up.  It's a big sucker, 17-inch, 1900 x 1200, so I can put as many tables as I want and still have room left over.  Strange thing is my POS work laptop running XP seems to be better able to handle 6 tables plus associated software than this new computer running Vista.  In every other respect, the new laptop is better than the old one.  Oh, well.

I'm just about at the end of another failed shot to stick at 1/2.  The pattern this year has been to beat up on .5/1 and get beat up at 1/2, relatively speaking.  My problem is that I play pretty low volume and have an aggressive bankroll strategy, so I am subject to a lot of potentially failed shots.  But over 25k hands at 1/2, now, I've lost over 25 BI.  Half of that was during a time when I was playing and running like shit (went from relatively comfortably rolled at 1/2 dropping almost down to the bottom of my .5/1 BR threshold).

This latest shot, though, I've been playing pretty well, and just not having stuff work out too well.  I have dropped a lot of poker activity (blogs, forums, videos have been pretty scarce).  But I have continued to be diligent reviewing my own play in depth and have been taking advantage of Jared's help reviewing a few hands from each session as well.  So, I'm pretty confident that I'm playing OK, and it's not like I'm in a big downswing or anything.  My BR "strategy" revolves around 5 BI shots, and I've lost 4.9 BI this time...so one more loser and I'm back to .5/1.

Now, this doesn't affect me financially, but it does make me question sometimes whether I should keep at it.  Part of my motivation to play is the prospect of improving and moving up the ranks.  But if I need to put in a lot more effort than I do now, I don't know if I want to absorb it.  I still think I'm already good enough to profit at 1/2.  I'm not saying I'm great, but I try to table select and I see a lot of bad play, so I should be able to have some sort of profit as I continue to work on my game.  But it's definitely possible my assessment is too optimistic.

I certainly still have the passion for poker, but I've got a lot of other things I'd like more time for as well.  We'll see.  I read periodically about people quitting the game in frustration, but for me, it would be regret.  Hopefully, it won't come to that, and either my game will improve or my luck will turn around at 1/2 and beyond.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

0.1 BIs left in a shot, imo, just drop to 100nl and don't bother with the 0.1 BIs left in the shot.

I read a comment somewhere that may help you out I think. It is how you look at where you play. It basically says to not think you are a regular at any limit ever, and just lay where you are rolled and can beat the competition. It makes a lot of sense to me. Makes "dropping down" easier to swallow. I am going to try to keep that mentality.

I hope you keep on with poker as it seems you have a good idea of how to play, but the bottom line is doing what makes you happy. If it is poker, stick with it. If it isn't, find something you love to do instead.