Thursday, June 26, 2008

Still running like death

First, I'm just about through with a detailed review of my 10BI downswing at 200NL.  Like I thought, most of the losses were nothing that I did wrong.  A few times, I got money in great and lost, which I knew.   There were a couple other hands that were pretty marginal (but fine) that I discussed with my coach, and a couple others that were also pushing small edges that I think were fine, but didn't discuss with my coach.  However, part of being properly rolled is the ability to push small edges, even knowing they're high variance.  If that starts getting to me, it's probably one area where I can tone it down. 

An example is getting it in versus a guy who was something like 60/40/2 on an ace-high flop where I turned aces up.  He opened in the CO and I 3-bet with A8 on the button (definitely not something I do normally, but this guy raises almost twice as many hands as I play).  Flop comes Axx with 2 diamonds, he check/calls.  The turn was the 8d, and he bet/called with Ad3d and it held up.  Bye-bye buy-in, reload.

Against more reasonable players, I'm not even in this hand, but that's the way it goes.  As an aside, this also shows where EV analysis lacks...my play was based on a read and playing against his range, but if you look at the EV calc here, most of my money went in bad on this hand.  Anyway, that was not the norm, lately.  It's been going in good and I've been getting unlucky.  I still need to work on eliminating frustration at the tables when that happens, but I'm pretty good at letting it go away from the tables and being happy when I make good decisions, even if they don't happen to work out.  Some day, hopefully, some other players will be the ones to feed the poor players, who will then pass that money along to me.  Lately, I've been the one who funds the party.

So, I dropped to 100NL.  One nice thing between some recent coaching and from playing several thousand hands at 200NL is that I feel more comfortable and confident than ever at 100NL.  Not that it's translated to results.  I ran up 3BI, then dropped 4, again in typical Full Tilt fashion.  I just deleted the details (if you really want to read the gory details, let me know), but the highlights were losing 3 times when I flopped a set....once to a backdoor flush, once to a gutshot that got there, and once when TP runner-runnered quads.  Ugh.

The final stackoff of the day came on the Edu tables on Full Tilt.  I hadn't played those before (I assume CR members at least know what those are).  Geez, they are pretty wild.  I'm not sure I'll be playing those too often for my regular stakes, if yesterday was any indication.  I got stacked by the guy on my direct left who wasted no time 3-betting me...and they were like instant 3-bets, too.  It was either the 3rd or 4th time he did it when I made a stand with AQ and he showed up with AK.  If a pro was making a video, I'm sure he was saying, "See what happens when you use position and pound on a guy.  Eventually, he will get frustrated and play for stacks with an inferior hand.  Ship it!" 

Given the circumstances, I'm not sure how much I hate my play, but I definitely don't like it.  I didn't have that good of a read on him to want to play for stacks with AQ.  I'm sure there was some tilt there, but before I called his 5-bet shove, I was just thinking that he had to be 3-betting me light some of the time, and with him and a couple others all being pretty wild (and the same thing was happening on another Edu table), I just talked myself into him doing this with a lot of pairs, suited aces, bluffs, as well as premium hands.  I was actually getting ready to leave the table before that, but figured I'd play around to my blinds :P.  And then, of course, I couldn't leave right after getting stacked like that, but I never did capitalize on my donk image after that play, so I left a little while later.

BTW, it happened against a guy named Marsh Man, or something like that.  I datamine pretty extensively and had zero hands on the guy prior to sitting.  Anyone know anything about him?  He seemed a bit too LAGgro to be a CR pro or anything, but usually if someone's aggressive like that, I've got at least a few hands on them.

2 comments:

Mr Fickle said...

Never played those tables as I am off FTP. Do they give some money back if you get beat up by a CR pro? That was the original suggestion but don't know if that actually happens.

I agree EV numbers should be taken with a pinch of salt, however I do find them useful sometimes.

On HEM it lists the EV% for each all in hand, so if I have just lost 5 buyins but the sessions All in hands are all over 80% then I am probably still playing well but running crap.

RakebackFAQ said...

Sounds like a shitty time. I dunno how you move money or how tough it is for US people i think you should try another site somewhere i reckon the small-mid stakes on FTP are the toughest anywhere so you would probably find it alot easier on Pokerstars maybe, I also believe raketherake.com have struck some kind of rakeback deal with them. Just an idea.

Hope it turns around next month good luck