Thursday, June 12, 2008

Still here :)

Things have been pretty busy...couple projects in go-mode at work plus end of school year.  Jennifer is room mom for both kids' classes plus is president of the PTA and things are extra busy due to another school closing and all the kids coming to our school...so I'm picking up as much of the slack as I can on the home front.

Actually, with all of the work she's doing at night, it gives me a little more time to play poker, but it's all in short sessions, as she always seems to get jammed up on some computer project and I try to help her get through it quickly.  So, I guess it all kind of balances out.

I had a few weeks where everything seemed to align...was making good plays based on good reads and getting good cards.  Maybe because I'm not able to fully concentrate or am a bit tired, my play has definitely not felt as sharp this month.  I've made some disappointing decisions that have cost a lot, and also have happened to tangle with a couple decent players (at least by reputation) on otherwise great tables.  All the problems are not totally in vain.  I'm trying to work more aggression into my postflop game, but I'm still getting used to it, and I don't realize my errors until later....but I am getting more comfortable upping the aggression somewhat, and I'm finding that people are paying off my bigger hands...although I wouldn't say it's due to any image I've established necessarily, just in general I'm realizing how much people like to call :).

Actually, it's hurt me in a lot of small pots over the last few sessions..my c-bets are definitely not getting much respect these days.  At least 3 times in a small number of hands, people have made pretty bad check/calls with crappy overcards on bad boards for them, and then got there.  But the pots have been small, thanks to not being such a double-barreling spew monkey these days.

I think where I am spewing is preflop and on the river.  Preflop by just being a bit too 3-bet happy, and also responding to perceived light 3-bets.  I don't think I play that well in re-raised pots...not terrible, but not good enough.  Sometimes to compensate, I force the issue preflop with marginal 4-bets and probably bluffing too often, as for a while, I was 4-bet bluffing once or twice a session, and a session for me is only a few hundred hands.  On the other hand, I think that reading and watching videos can only take you so far in terms of playing in reraised pots...a lot of it you have to learn by trying it yourself...or at least I do.  I tried actually dropping down a couple levels to make some light calls and play hands out...but I didn't spend much time on that.  I may do it some more, but the problem is that with so little time to actually play, I want to play at my regular game.  So, we'll see how that goes.

I'm still doing OK, it's just that things have slipped a bit focus/clarity-wise, and as I said, some of that is a little by design.  Accept some marginal spots in order to improve.

No comments: