Saturday, June 21, 2008

F*ck You Again, Full Tilt Poker!






Edit: Attempting to take some of the ranting out. I called out a lot of beats, and I'm removing those, although I'll still leave some of the ranting in there....this is supposed to be a blog about how I'm doing, after all. I also added some PokerEV graphs and commentary. Plus, a couple guys already left comments (thanks), and since I'm editing, I'll address Willie's.

For the 2nd time, my play at 200NL ends on a Friday night, thanks to Full Tilt Poker and their motherfucking doomswitch. I looked back at some of the big hands, and my decisions were right, except on the river, I was making some frustration calls if they bet smallish...knowing they probably had it, but figuring that one of these times it would be a weird bluff. I did pick off a couple, but made some pretty bad calls, too. Not for huge amounts, but they add up. But overall, I was getting money in pretty well, and overall my play has been pretty good.

The good news out of all this is that I'm 100% convinced I can beat 1/2 pretty well...I don't know how some of these people still have any money, and even against the regulars, I felt like I do fine. Not that I seek them out, but there are too many to avoid altogether. So, I'll just have to grind it back up, and hopefully 3rd time will be the charm.

I hadn't done this in a while, but I loaded last week's hands into PT2 so I can run Poker EV on them. My impression is that I'm getting money in good, and it should be able to tell me at least that much. I mostly stopped using PokerEV graphs, but I do think they can help with confidence for times like this. And it shows that it's actually been a pretty terrible week :(. Down 10 BI at 1/2. This was after running up 5 BI this month there, so the net loss is down 5 BI for the month at 1/2 (and about +5BI at .5/1).

I'm pretty aggressive with my bankroll, and I know that means I'll have to move down sometimes, and after sleeping on it, that doesn't really bother me. I just want to get better, and I think that I am meeting that goal.

Willie brought up a couple good points...he talked about quitting well, and also about posting some hands for discussion. I probably do have a problem quitting, quite honestly. My time for poker gets squeezed into so many other things in my life that if I have a chance to play, I'll probably make "the most" of it. It means I may not be in the right mental state to play my "A" game, but those times where I'm at my best, I'm usually at work or doing stuff with the family. No way around that, and it's just part of what I need to accept. Last night's session was kind of the same. Up late the night before (work, then poker). Played golf in the morning, got to work late, stayed late, dashed out for my daughter's dance recital, etc., etc. But I need to find a way to play through that, or I won't be able to play at all.

The second thing is hand analysis. I've never been one to post a lot of hands on this blog. I don't like the form, and it's difficult to get a discussion going. I probably should post more anyway, just to get thoughts. But I prefer the theory and just in general getting (and giving) updates. I do discuss hands regularly via email with my coach, though, and I'm sure he'll be seeing quite a few from last night...it's been good to make sure that my decisions are reasonable when I'm getting the money in.

3 comments:

RakebackFAQ said...

Sorry to hear that Marc looks pretty bad. Maybe putting up some hands for discussion would reassure that your playing right. I know you know this and i dont know how you deal with losses mentally but 6 bi is alot to lose in 1 session. Im pretty fustrated if i lose 2. Quitting good when your losing is just as important as anything else in the game i think maybe even more so. Hope you run better in your next sesh.

Good luck

Unknown said...

Seems like you are playing solid for the most part, so it will come in due time. In the meantime, keep your head up!

Mr Fickle said...

ugh, looks like you are running pretty bad.

Just try to make sure running bad doesn't snowball into playing bad.

Is tough but we have all been there and will be there again at some point!