Monday, January 28, 2008

Still here, just busy

It's been a bit since I've made a blog entry, and actually over the last week or so, I haven't been playing too much, either. Work has picked up a bit after the holidays, and basketball season started for my kids. Out of all the sports they play, basketball is the one I actually know something about, and I coach both their teams. At this age, that means multiple nights a week I'm in practice, and most of the day on Saturday, I'm prepping for, or coaching, games.

I like practicing with my son's team because they play on lower rims and with a ball small enough to palm, so I can dunk! The best I was ever able to do consistently when I played was to dunk a tennis ball....every once in a while a volleyball.

Between work, basketball, and family, there is less time than usual to grind. Strangely, the part that bugs me the most now is not that I'm missing hands, but that I'm falling behind on blogs, forums, and videos. I'm reconciled to a lower volume of hands, and just want to play well when I do play, but not to force it. Well, I say that now, but I didn't hold to it yesterday. I was too friggin' tired, but fired up Full Tilt anyway...boo!!

I did an impromptu session review today...thought that I was going to be a watcher, but instead I volunteered to bring up yesterday's session and go through a quick review. First of all, it highlighted some really poor play on my part, at times. Second, it reinforced how valuable a group PT review can be compared to a sweat session. I think that in a group setting, a PT review may be even more valuable than a sweat session, as you can dwell on any topic that comes up as long as you need/want. I never mind being a guinea pig for those reviews...anytime anyone sees me online and would like to do a PT review, let me know...I will review or be reviewed. The nice thing for me is that those reviews can be short or long, which is nice if I have to head to a meeting in 30 minutes or something.

This weekend, I finally finished the last part of Elements of Poker. I know that I was going to write a detailed review (a couple people have pinged me to remind me), but that is going to have to wait until I have some more time. There was a post on 2p2 last week by Focault, or something like that, in the Books and Publications forum. He pretty much took the words from me anyway...if I wasn't so lazy, I'd find it and link it. The bottom line is that I really enjoyed the book. I get a decent amount out of most of the books I've read; either I wait until the book has been reviewed, or it's by an author I trust will turn out a good book. Even with those standards, I don't read too many books that make me think, "Wow, that's really cool!" about some passage in the book or whatever. Elements of Poker did that for me numerous times. It wasn't universally like that, but there were several "aha" moments. And throughout, Angelo writes in a really pleasing manner...the book is really easy to read. In fact, as I've said before, it might be a little too easy to read! I can't believe that there isn't something in there for everyone at mid stakes and lower, and probably higher, I just couldn't say without experience.

I'm running out of time (see prior posts on time management), but I did take a snapshot of my lifetime 50NL and 100NL results which I think are pretty interesting. I'll try to make another post this week about them. In reality, I've found that I've had to limit my time spent blogging, as it's taking away from other "study" areas that need focus. I'm supremely behind on watching any videos, most of all, as in I've watched 2 this whole month. I have been trying to keep up with all the blogs, and have for the most part, although I have been a bit lax commenting. But I am reading all the blogs from the SSNL Grinders and from the workshop as well. OK, see you next time.

1 comment:

RakebackFAQ said...

Things sound good your way best of luck with Feb!