Monday, January 14, 2008

Quick update

Got less than half an hour, so this will be quick (rare for me). First, in regards to Willie's comment from last entry, villain flopped the nut straight. I'm still frustrated by my play in that hand. Grrr.

I am almost done with Elements of Poker. Not sure whether I can write a full review because I'm not sure I could easily describe the book. Here's my quick recommendation. Go to Tommy Angelo's website. Read some excerpts from the Universal Elements section. This was by far my favorite section of the book. Go to the Articles section, and poke around. The reciprocality article is actually interspersed throughout the book. If you like what you see, buy the book....it is more of the same. I will be happy to try writing a more detailed review rather than referring you to his site, but I don't have the time right now. I am certainly glad I read the book, and will go through it again as well. If you are looking for a review, and don't see one in the next week or so, leave me a comment.

Poker went well over the weekend. I actually continued to run below expectations (the gap widened, according to PokerEV), but I was hit so hard by the deck that I was still able to have decent results. It feels like I'm getting a crapload of big pocket pairs and AK. I'm 3-betting a ton and getting action because of it. They aren't holding up as often as they "should" but I'm getting them so many times I'm still turning a profit. Flopping the nut flush and stacking a guy who flopped a lower flush helped last night, too :).

My play also feels solid to me, but to be honest I've run out of time to actually go through all the hands and review them. I should be doing that rather than writing this, probably :P. But this, I can wrap up in a few minutes, and I like to dedicate a continuous chunk of time to review, as like playing, I feel better when I get into the flow of it.

Before I review my play, though, I've got a number of blogs to hit, as the study group has grown quite a bit. Then perhaps review some forum posts, then review my own play. Ack, that's why I never get to my play.

Non-poker, the other coach for my son's basketball team basically admitted she didn't know a thing about basketball and since I did, could she just kind of sit on the bench and do nothing, maybe shadow me so she could learn for next year. That was kind of a relief because now I can just do what I want for practice, setting the lineups, and giving the kids instructions during the game. I didn't want to step on her toes, and I'm glad she initiated the conversation.

Both kids' games went really well, and a few of the things I tried to coach actually came out during the game...those moments are just awesome.

OK, got to head off to that meeting.

No comments: