Friday, January 04, 2008

Chris stole my post

I think I am seriously overplaying one-pair hands. I keep getting in large pots calling bets and raises with TPTK and overpairs. Sometimes this is fine, but the norm at 100NL should be that you need a good reason to get it in, especially if someone is calling your preflop raise, calling the flop, and shoving the turn. I have been the donk in the stack-a-donk game. I see it a lot when I review my play, and for some reason I am talking myself into big calls during the game.

Some of this is read-related, and I actually believe my calls have thin value...but the point is that when there is value, it's pretty thin. And realistically, I'm probably not doing as good a job as needed in making correct reads. So, what I think to be thin value is based on bad inputs, and it's not value at all. If the best I can hope for is to get thin value and the downside is that I'm crushed, I won't be making a big mistake in pitching more hands. Eventually, I'll need to be able to make those thin calls, but I'm not playing against the right players for it. I see that now. Will I see it when I play?

I've tried dropping a table or two, and it doesn't make any difference. Must be a psychological problem, a blind spot when playing. Or just stubbornness. Perhaps it is that I don't want to think that I'm getting run over in a game. Well, in all my posts, and all the posts I've read, no one has complained that they are just getting run over too much. It's all like me...spewing away too much or turning into a payoff monkey. OK, end of pep talk. Time to get out there and fold some more :).

3 comments:

Bazclef said...

I thought Chris's advice from Dodgyken was great. It's something I do a lot too, definately taking it into consideration more in the future!

losbert said...

Sorry Marc couldn't let that piece of advice pass without posting about it. Most of my big losses come from this situation.

Seriously your post summed up where I'm coming from as well. I agree with your last sentance of your 2nd paragraph. I know what I should be doing but most of the time forget the concepts I should have been considering when in the middle of a hand and revert to type.

Anonymous said...

Here are a few links that may help:

http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Number=6607951

http://www.tommyangelo.com/articles/folding.htm