Wednesday, January 02, 2008

December results

The pictures:


I did the graph in terms of big bets, since I split my play between 50NL and 100NL. The graph by amount won is worse, since my score at 100NL was much lower than my score at 50NL. Hit a rough patch in the beginning of the month...combination of bad cards and bad play.


In addition to these hands, I had a little over $400 profit in live play, and whatever my rakeback will be (not much, since less than half of these hands are on a rakeback account). Results wise, I'm not too thrilled, but I think overall my play was OK, especially later on in the month. No higher than B overall I think, though, so plenty of room for improvement.

My preflop raise is too low for my VPIP, but some of that was intentional -- experimenting with some cold calls in position -- and some of it was due to good game selection. By that I mean, I found myself on the button or in the BB with a multiway raised pot already, and I had the odds to call. This didn't happen a ton, but it doesn't have to over such a small sample for it to influence the stats.

My Won at Showdown is really low, and it has been low for quite a number of months. A while ago, I asked Verneer about how to raise it in general. He had some ideas, and also posted the question to the NL Theory forum. I've been thinking about this stat for a while, since mine is much lower than the norm a lot of the time. I've come to the conclusion that it could be telling me the following...and I'm not sure in what order this is:
  1. I am calling too light on the river. I need to watch out how many hero calls I make, even after inducing bets by checking behind the turn. Of everything, this is probably the most actionable point, and it reinforces my opinion that I probably let myself be value bet too often, and give too good implied odds to good players.
  2. I c-bet too much when I miss. They call, I give up, and their marginal hand beats me. I may need to look into seeing whether I can push more people off hands, but my won when saw flop is already decently high, so I think that way lies spew. The other adjustment is to not relentlessly c-bet, but I tend to rely on the fold to c-bet stat a lot, and will pretty much always c-bet someone folding more than 50% of the time, as that should show a profit if the stats are right.
  3. I may be running cold. I would give a lot more credence to this if it were a blip. But in only one month since June has my Won at Showdown been over 50%. Even though my Went to Showdown is pretty low (this month's is the highest by far..it's consistently been around 21%), I consistently lose frequently at showdown.
Related to the low Won at Showdown, I think that my river aggression is a tad on the low side. Aba suggested in one of his vids that aggression by street should be like 5+, 4+, and 3+, and to shoot for a 2.5 river aggression. Of course, he's in different games, but whatever. The point is that I should likely be over 2, and the fact that I'm not supports the premise I'm calling down too light.


I am doing a good job staying disciplined (tight) in early position. I am playing too weak in late position. I don't think there's too much more to say about this. Somehow, I've got to start getting a bit more out of line in late position. But my button VPIP is about 2.5 times as high as my UTG VPIP, so it's not terrible.

2 comments:

RakebackFAQ said...

I think your stats are ok, youve said what you need to do and iam sure you'll do it. I dont think it was a terrible month its in the green for almost 4BB/100, its one thing iam trying to come to terms with myself is how much of a grind poker is, say that you were not working and got in 50k in hands it would be almost $2000 + RB for the month that wouldnt be bad for playing 50nl.

All the best for 2008

losbert said...

Nice analysis Marc, I can relate to the Winning at Showdown stats. I like the possible solutuons. Missed the Verneer Post will check it out.

Good luck for 2008