Saturday, August 04, 2007

Screw you, Full Tilt

August has started off with a bang. I'm down 7 buy-ins in a whopping 1500 hands. PokerEV says my Sklansky bucks are positive over that time (for those of you who don't know about this tool, it -- among other things -- will analyze your showdown hands and compare what you should have won to what you did win). There's an 8 buy-in difference between my Sklansky bucks and my showdown winnings! In 1500 frigging hands!

So, the good news is that I'm getting my money in well, at least in the hands that go to showdown, but the short term results have been absolutely brutal. This actually goes back to about the middle of last month, so it's been a few weeks, and I guess I don't have the mental toughness to just shrug it off...it's bothering me when I play.

I don't know how much my play actually changes in downswings because I remind myself not to let it affect me, and I have not done anything obviously stupid. My VPIP, preflop raise, and aggression numbers over the last few weeks are about the same as normal, so the losses are not putting me on insane monkey tilt. That said, I'm sure there are some at least subtle forms of tilt that come into play, because I'm not 100% focused on the game (thinking about results and bad luck, and steaming a bit in hands). When you're not 100% focused, you're not playing your best, so like I said, I'm sure it affects me somehow, just not sure how it manifests.

More than anything, it affects my enjoyment of the game, though, and that's where I wish I could just not pay attention to the bad luck. I'm fortunate in the sense that I don't rely on poker for the bills, but I'm also competitive, and have been languishing at 25 NL for far too long -- 27k hands, and I'd like to level up at some point ;).

So, what do you all do to pull yourself out of a mental funk?

4 comments:

robracing said...

Poker can be the most brutal game at times.

Keep analysing you PT results. Look at the big hands you have lost, and (hopefully) reassure yourself that you played them fine and were cold-decked.

Look at you big pocket pair hands and check that you are maintaining an appropriately aggressive line with these hands, and not backing off waiting to get sucked out on.

Maybe cut down the number of tables you are playing, so that you can focus in on getting good reads, and taking proper notes.

Good luck!

grinder said...

Im sure a lot of it is about confidence , this however is a catch twenty two situ , you have to play to get out of it , but youre playing badly because you have no confidence
Try and find a period wher you were winning and see if you can create thos conditions .
If you play 4 tables then reduce them
its also about momentum . I dropped down to 2 tables had a few solid sessions and then increased too 3 and then 4 .
You could also have a break for a few days .
But if youre playing well dont beat yourself up about it

losbert said...

If I have downswings like this and have lost a bit of confidence, I would definitely take a break for a few days if nothing else to clear your head and to make sure you continue to enjoy the game.

AppleSeed2082 said...

I would drop a level down to regain some confidence. Once u start running better and playing better u can move back up to your regular game.

Also, when you lose a stack to a donk. I notice they somehow tighten up and actually play better.

So watch out, if you notice this it is best to change tables because it could lead to spewing.