Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Catching up on some hands

I've been playing a little bit, mostly working and finishing Professional No Limit Hold'em. I'd recommend the book, but it was not mind-blowing. The authors have talked about this being a foundation for the 2nd, and possibly more, volumes. I could see that, and I am looking forward to whenever the next books come out. It would actually be pretty interesting to see one of the CR pros play according to some of the book's recommendations, or to have one of the authors do a guest video. Anyway, here are some hands.

Hand 1: Only a few hands on villain.

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter, Courtesy of PokerZion.com

SB ($15.80)
BB ($14.65)
Hero ($25)
MP ($25.80)
CO ($54.30)
Button ($26.75)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Kh, Ah.
Hero raises to $0.95, 2 folds, Button raises to $3.95, 2 folds, Hero raises to $13.15, Button calls $8.25.

I alternate here between calling and raising, but out of position, I'm more likely to raise.

Flop: ($25.70) Qd, Th, 6s (2 players)
Hero bets $12.8 (All-In), Button calls $12.80.

I'm probably not folding out much that beats me, but I'm pretty committed with overs and the gutshot, not to mention the back door flush. Perhaps I fold out another AK. OK?

Turn: ($51.30) 3c (2 players, 1 all-in)
.

River: ($51.30) 6c (2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $51.30

Results below:
Hero has Kh Ah (one pair, sixes).
Button has Qh Qc (full house, queens full of sixes).
Outcome: Button wins $51.30.

Hand 2: Villain is LAG preflop, but settles down to kind of middle of the road postflop.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (http://www.legopoker.com http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

Hero (SB): $25.10
BB: $26.05
UTG: $9.75
MP: $33.35
CO: $48.10
BTN: $25.25

Preflop: Hero is dealt Ad Kc (6 Players)
2 folds, CO raises to $0.85, BTN folds, Hero raises to $2.80, BB folds, CO calls $1.95

Flop: ($5.85) 5s Ah Ts (2 Players)
Hero bets $5.85, CO calls $5.85

Turn: ($17.55) 5s Ah Ts 3c (2 Players)
Hero bets $7.40, CO calls $7.40

River: ($32.35) 5s Ah Ts 3c Qc (2 Players)
Hero checks, CO checks

I think everything up to the river is pretty standard. On the river is check/call the best line here? If I bet, I think most of the time I get called, it's with a better hand, and while I'm probably in trouble calling, there is a chance that he bluffs or at least bets a hand he thinks may be good since I checked. I normally don't like check/calling on the river after having the lead in the hand, but that may be a holdover from my LHE days, as for some reason, I see more plausible opportunities to do so.

Pot Size: $32.35 ($1.60 Rake)

Results:
CO had Ac Jd (a pair of Aces) and LOST (-$16.05)
Hero had Ad Kc (a pair of Aces) and WON (+$14.70)

Hand 3: This one is bad. It's a good example of how marginal/poor play early in the hand can screw you over. This is how I tilt...I talk myself into things that when I'm playing well I merely consider and then discard. I end up being too aggressive at first and then calling down when shown resistance. No balance.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (http://www.legopoker.com http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

SB: $31.30
BB: $25.00
Hero (UTG): $40.15
CO: $20.00
BTN: $34.20

CO posts $0.25
Preflop: Hero is dealt Td Kh (5 Players)
Hero raises to $1.25, CO folds, BTN calls $1.25, SB calls $1.15, BB calls $1.00

I would not normally make this play, but there was some table context. I had been raising a fair amount, with decent cards, and for the most part people were folding (LOL at this hand, though). The button is very tight preflop, and the BB is also pretty tight, so all in all, not a terrible stealing situation, but definitely marginal at these limits.

Flop: ($5.25) 2d Qh Ah (4 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $3.60, 2 folds, BB calls $3.60

I was most worried about SB. Button likely has a pair or he would reraise, and BB could have a lot since pot odds were really good. Really, though, this is a good spot to not c-bet and just hope to spike my gutshot. Also, this bet is going to either commit me to the pot, or if I end up folding, it will have cost a lot. This is one of the commitment concepts from PNL. It would have been OK to put a bet in here with the intent of stealing, but with such a large field, I'm not stealing anything.

Turn: ($12.45) 2d Qh Ah 7h (2 Players)
BB bets $6.25, Hero calls $6.25

The turn donk threw me a bit, as I would have expected a flush to c/r me, so I thought that this more of a feeler bet. I almost pushed, and perhaps that would have been better as I have the NFD and still the gutshot in case he's not already flushed, and it would fold a lot of non-flush hands, and *possibly* (although doubtfully) a low flush. But I turn passive and call, which is likely the worst option of all, as I'm not getting odds if behind.

River: ($24.95) 2d Qh Ah 7h Jc (2 Players)
BB bets all-in for $13.90, Hero calls $13.90

I'm not at all sure about the river call, but getting 3:1 with the nuts if he doesn't have a flush, I think that it's OK. Villain has been pretty aggro postflop.

Pot Size: $52.75 ($2.60 Rake)

Results:
BB had 6h 4h (a flush, Ace high) and WON (+$25.15)
Hero had Td Kh (a straight, Ace high) and LOST (-$25.00)

3 comments:

grinder said...

Ok
Hand 1

I cant say i like the play here . You have raised utg and then got re raised , i would just call . Im thinking that most people respect the utg bet so to be re raised means they have something , so i would just call . Whilst i appreciate the strength of AK and man do they look pretty suited , im not always prepared to risk it all with this hand especially in cash games where it loses some of its edge.

Hand 2 this is more of a standard way to play the AK i think

Hand 3 K 10 is not strong enough for me to play utg especially if you have been active . I think the play becomes just another raise and the fact that you are utg loses its respect . If i have been particularly active i strenghthen up my utg range which is pretty strong anyway

Nice Post glad youre back

RakebackFAQ said...

Hand 1)

i agree with grinder i would call to try and hit the A or K but you bet pretty big OOP if your willing to go allin with this hand no matter what hits i think its better to push rather than reraise beacuse your betting with nothing on the flop.

Hand 2)

I like how you played to the turn i understand that you dont want to scare him away but theres about 15$ in the pot your betting 7 i would bet more 10-12 beacuse there is a flush draw and the way hes calling it looks like hes chasing. There is even a case of pushing the turn if you believe he has a draw. I dont mind check calling the river but if this was my hand i would have very little left on the river and it would be going in there.

Hand 3)

Yeah i wouldnt be raising here as you say you have been active so there not going to respect you. As played i think its a flop not to c bet. The turn call is understandable beacuse you have the K and the J on the river just sucks you in i think its an easy call.

Marc said...

With AK, I much prefer to call a 3-bet when I'm in position. Out of position, you're going to miss the flop 2/3 of the time (more if your opponent has Ax), and then, if you're not prepared to carry on when you miss, you don't have the odds to call. Note that OOP, you're also not going to get that paid off when you do hit unless you're beat, so your implied odds are bad, too. So, if you're not going to raise, it's a choice between folding or pushing, IMO. I like to push more if the stacks are smaller, since I think that increases my equity significantly against his calling range. With full stacks, I don't think I like my equity against his calling range, as I would assign a very tight range to an unknown making this call, and the pot is pretty small relative to what's left.

I'm clearly going to have to think some more about this, just getting my thoughts out. Thanks for the input!