Friday, August 31, 2007

August -- Ouch

Well, August is in the books for me, and it was pretty frigging ugly. I played so-so, certainly room for improvement there, and ran absolutely terrible. I played significantly better than a lot of my competition, but wtf, I better be able to do that at this level. I got a lot of money in this month as a considerable favorite, but my opponents got there way more than their share.

At one point, I wrote about being frustrated because we keep score using money, and I have been languishing at the lowest stakes for a long time (41k hands of breakeven poker @ 25NL), but being happy about how I was playing and improving. Well, I still think that I'm improving, but taking a hard look at myself after participating in CR low limit and other blogs and forums, I realize that I've got a long way to go still in my development. I work hard at the non-play part of my development -- given my work and family schedule, it's hard for me to get the table hours in, but I can and do find time for reading, writing, and thinking about the game. Translating that study and knowledge into action at the tables is pretty questionable, contributing to another chunk of loss. From that standpoint, there is a silver lining: I'm getting my poker table education pretty cheaply.

The next thing I'd like to do, but it will be difficult for me, is to take this crew concept another step farther than just blogs. I've got some ideas here, and perhaps I'll post them separately. My issue is time: job, kids' sports and school activities, tennis one night a week, golf (at least) once a week, and a wife who for some reason actually wants to spend more time with me all make it hard to be available for group activities on a predictable basis. I'm also toying with the idea of hiring a coach, if I can find one for a reasonable amount.

OK, enough thoughts, here are the pictures.

I tried to tighten up my game some (I usually run a tad higher VPIP, but not much). It looks like I'm pretty nitty getting to showdown, but even so, I'm not even winning 50% of those times. Since I'm fairly aggressive, it doesn't look like I'm calling down too much, but I may be transparent, so that my opponents are only sticking around when they've beat me...I'll need to look at that some.


Sample size is a bit small, but it looks like I'm too loose in the first couple spots, especially UTG. I also am showing down higher percentage from UTG and MP, so maybe I'm falling in love with good looking starting hands. But I'm usually going to be OOP, and therefore less inclined to show down. Another thing to look out for.


Perhaps further evidence of being weak-tight, as I'm losing money when not showing down. For those who don't know this program (and you should check it out, it's called PokerEV, and there's a big thread about it on the 2p2 software forum), the red and blue lines represent showdown hands. The red line represents what you should have won according to equity when the money went in. The blue line represents the money you actually won. The green line is your total winning (or losing, for me). So, the gap between blue and green is how I'm doing when not showing down a hand, and I'm folding more often than not. This may actually be OK at micro stakes, as I'm not as likely to bluff or get bluffed, but it may indicate I'm playing scared as well.


This is the luck graph from PokerEV, and it's pretty self explanatory. This is a really nice little tool in a downswing to prevent a total lack of confidence.


Well, at least I had a couple dozen hands in the green :).

Here's looking to September. Oh, and if anyone from Full Tilt happens to be reading this....please turn off the doom switch on my account!

3 comments:

losbert said...

Marc those results look very similar to mine and I certainly know where your coming from. I pretty much feel the same way as you and played alot better than my results suggest. It looks like our games are at similar stages and I know I have alot of improvement to make but I'm determined to get there.

I'd be interested in trying to set up a group in some form or another on similar lines to what the UF2B guys are doing.

I've not seen much of the PokerEV programme but will check it out. Any thing that will help our games improve has to be a good thing.

Any way here's to a better September and good luck.

Chris

RakebackFAQ said...

I think with your stats you should be doing fine. Your utg % is 1 of the highest and is ment to be one of the lowest. From your posts i think you have a knowlage of the game that you dont need for 25$ nl your maybe thinking to much for uncomplacated situations. If you look at gramwhites end of month results they were pretty good and he made 1 simple cahnge and that was to focus on position play. Iam going to use that myself. I think a more ABC approach would see you have a better month.

I have this program but i cant make head nor tale of it i might look out for that tread on 2+2.

Best of luck for the month.

Marc said...

@ losbert: yes, we both could use a better September! i'd like to see if we can get a group going as well, although the UF2B guys have been slacking (at least posting wise);. at some point, i'll post some ideas i have for a group charter, and see who is interested.

@ pkr_brat: you could likely be correct that i'm taking simple situations and making them too complicated. i will try to play more ABC in September, and focus on my UTG VPIP. As far as PokerEV, I'm sure that I'm not using it optimally, either.