Monday, August 10, 2009

Life stuff

Went into San Francisco on Saturday to visit with my mom and hash out some stuff that we've needed to talk about for a while.  Took the train, and she was going to pick me up, then we were going to go have lunch.  After waiting for 10 or 15 minutes, my wife called to say that my mom had been in an accident with a bicyclist.  Everyone was OK, but they were headed to a bike shop about a 10 minute walk from where I was.  On the way there, I was talking with my stepfather, who said the cyclist was a bike messenger.  He didn't know the exact details of what was going on, but he said that the bike messenger said he was going to sue my mom, and that he had $1800 rims on his bike and wanted a bunch of cash for them, blah blah blah.  I guess he shut up about that when my mom suggested she call the police and they could take an accident report :).

From what my mom said, it's not clear to me who was at fault.  She was partway into an intersection making a right turn, but was waiting for a pedestrian to get onto the sidewalk.  It sounds like she then completed her turn just as the light was going from yellow to red, and hit the guy just as she was going from a standstill (which is why he didn't get hurt at all).  The guy had run his light, but my mom had hit him.  It's probably the guy's fault, but it was $175 out the door for the bike to be fixed (so much for $1800 rims, lol), and my mom just paid it and they signed something that said nothing further was required, so she just wants to be done with it.

Yesterday, on my way to play golf, my wife called to let me know that in the middle of the night, my niece went into labor at 4:30 AM, or thereabout.  A little over 22 hours later, she gave birth to her daughter.  So, I'm now a great-uncle, crap!

I would try to rationalize to you guys that my sister-in-law is older than I am, and that she had her daughter young, and in turn that her daughter (my niece) is having kids early, but what's the point?  I'm a bunch older than most of you guys anyway, so who cares?

Anyway, golf is coming around a little bit, finally.  2nd round in a row I was in single digits over par (7 over, yesterday), and put several swings in a row together that felt good, although there were definitely some real clunkers in there, too.

We went to the beach after that, which we don't do that often, even though it only takes about an hour.  Well, on a nice day like yesterday, it usually takes a bit longer than that because of traffic, but still.  Usually it's too cold for me to want to get in the water, but it was over 80, so even though the Pacific this far north is pretty chilly, I got in with the kids and body surfed with them.  I went out a bit far to try getting some bigger waves -- I can't go too far without freaking out my wife and daughter -- and for a bit was probably 20 or so yards away from a group of pelicans fishing, and I even saw a couple seals, which was pretty cool.  Then it occurred to me that I don't really know how aggressive seals are when they're fishing, or if there were any seal pups nearby.  But it didn't matter, because the whole procession were following the fish and moved away pretty quickly.

No comments: