Monday, July 27, 2009

Amusement Park

Yesterday started off pretty good...we got 3 free tickets to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom thanks to the kids' school, plus I played some live poker Friday, did well, and so had plenty of cash for my ticket and whatever we wanted to do at the park.  The one ride my son really wanted to do was a roller coaster called Kong, and he evidently is exactly 52 inches tall...dead even with the ruler.  So, we were all thrilled he could go (whole family likes roller coasters, but none more than my son, and obviously this was the first time he could ride this one).

From there, the day got worse.  As we were walking to the next coaster, Jennifer stopped in her tracks and said, "Crap! I don't have my phone!"  Up until 2 weeks ago, for the past 4 years or so, she'd used the same crappy free flip phone, and never had any issues.  But she finally caved in to iPhone envy after watching me use mine all the time, so I bought her one. 

Somewhere on one of the loops or corkscrews of Kong, I guess her new phone slipped out of her pocket and launched itself into the air.  To make a long story short, we stuck around for 90 minutes after the park closed until they brought the phone back to us at the front gate.  It looked unscathed, but the display shattered inside.  So much for a cheapish day at the park; best we can tell, to fix it via Apple will be at least $250.

Speaking of expensive days at the park, Jennifer and I were marveling at how many people who just looked like money might be tight for them (obviously, knowing nothing about them, just the way things looked) spent a crapload of cash at the park.  I mean, even when times are tough, you need to have some fun once in a while, but it seems to me that an amusement park can be one of the most expensive ways to have a fun day with the family.

1 comment:

mongoose said...

eek on the phone. that's a pisser.

odd timing on the park thing. we live almost in walking distance to Knoebels (edged out disney in the golden ticket rankings). free admission, bargain nights are $6.50 for a handstamp for the rides. top tier wooden coasters, superb metal bumper cars.

but, thursday we're heading to hershey. first thing i did was see if we could bring a picnic lunch. i don't mind paying for rides, but overpriced meh food pisses me off, hehe.