Monday, February 16, 2009

Overbet shoves

Have there been some recent videos advocating overbet shoves, either as a bluff or for value?  I swear I'm seeing a ton more of them than I'm used to on pretty dry boards, since moving to 200NL.  Could be coincidence (we're not talking a crapload of hands), or it could be that it's just something you see a bit more of at 200NL than at 100NL. 

I have not been calling with my hands, even when my hands are somewhat stronger than a bluff catcher, for the most part.  My assumption is that for the most part, people are not overbet shoving without the goods or a really strong draw that has tons of equity against a top pair sort of hand.  However, if there's some video out advocating this, that would change my thinking entirely, as there are some spots where it would be pretty bad to do it without a strong hand, and misapplying something from a video would explain a lot.

I'm not talking about spots where it's reraised preflop and getting in on favorable flops for it, but more where there is some postflop action, but the final result on the turn or river is an overbet shove.

2 comments:

RakebackFAQ said...

WWJTD had a question where he was against a dc member had history a couple of hands before hit AA 1 of the answers was should i overbet shove. Are we just lemmings or what?

Unknown said...

I posted two overbets on the river that occured yesterday, one of them I called, one of them I made. I also showed one maybe 10 posts ago or so, when I called with T9 for top pair, because the dude's line made 0 sense. The reality is that it can certainly be both a bluff and a value bet. :)