Friday, March 21, 2008

Woot! for me too :)

Saw on Rasputin's blog that his Harrington books arrived at his local post office this AM. The last update I got on my tracking was that it hit my local mail center last night. I assume that means they're waiting for me when I get home!

Played a decent amount over the weekend and first couple days this week, including a shot at 200NL that worked out well. It helped that I made my 2nd ever 5-bet bluff preflop with 66 110BB effective and sucked out on AA.

I got a lesson there and not even for cheap. And it wasn't a don't spew lesson, either (I had a read and the table dynamics actually supported my play, I think). It was that I probably don't run enough big bluffs, at least for when I move up. I say that because I felt really really dumb when the cards came up and everyone could see I 3-bet/pushed 66. But I liked, and still like now, the play at the time.

Rather than feeling dumb, I think that I should have expected to lose when called, but that I would get away with it enough, as well as fold out some better hands enough...and that this is literally the 2nd time I 5-bet/shoved without AK, QQ+ in like 100,000 hands. And the other time *was* tilt. So, this time, even if my decision was wrong, it was a calculated decision and I should feel OK with it (and analyze it later), and I clearly am not bluffing a lot. I also think that's fine 100NL and below, maybe also 200NL, but at some point with all the reraised pots, I am going to need to shove at least once in a while with hands other than the super premium ones, just so that when I do shove with AA, there are a couple other hands that might call me. Like I'm pretty sure that if this 8-tabling regular takes any notes, he's going to note the donkey who shoved 66 into him.

One related, semi-random thought. Although true in a number of sports, I saw this most clearly when I played lacrosse: the guys that play aggressively (but not recklessly) and initiate contact get dinged frequently, and the guys standing on the periphery of a play either passively or protecting themselves get clocked. I wonder how closely you could make a poker analogy from that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One thing that LuckySOB told me that makes a ton of sense is this: You made that play with 66 (I am not going to analyze the play) and you mentioned that the guy probably made a note on you. However, YOU should make notes on all the solid regulars at your table who might be capable of putting that note on YOU as well. Just because some other 19/16 reg wasn't IN the hand doesn't mean he didn't SEE the hand. So you can use that aginst him in the future as well. It was a point made to me that I had not thought about, but made a lot of sense. Hope you run hot at 200NL so you can stay there!