Friday, January 02, 2009

Hello 2009

NYE was pretty fun and close to home so no long drive back.  Hope you all enjoyed your celebrations too.  Didn't really think the bowl games I watched were all that good, although to be fair I'm not watching nearly as much sports as I used to, so I didn't know too much about the teams beforehand.  Was glad to see that the Pac 10 kicked butt in their bowls, though :).

I'm poorer at the beginning of 2009 than I was at the beginning of 2008.  Outside of poker as well as in poker.  But this is about poker, and unfortunately, 2008 was a losing year, although in BB/100, it was positive.  In total $$ it was positive, too, thanks to bonii and rakeback. 

But as far as actual play goes, I followed the old do-well-at-lower-stakes-get-beat-at-higher-stakes game plan.  I think I'm a better player by quite a bit, though, and I know that should be more important in the bigger scheme.  I think I'm going to change my BR approach a little bit.  It will still be aggressive for someone playing full time, but since I'm not, I can afford to be a little more aggressive.  I'll wait a bit longer before playing higher, but when I do, it will be with more of a cushion.  My sense from playing is that with table selection, there is not a big difference in the quality of play between .5/1 and 1/2, so I think if I can continue winning decently at .5/1, I should be able to be at least marginal at 1/2.

Here's today's hand.  I think it's pretty basic, actually, but it was the biggest loser from the prior session with most of the money going in postflop, so that's how I'm randomizing my hands.

Over 600 hundred hands, villain 3-bet from the button pretty wide (I know it's a smallish sample, and don't think it matters a ton for the hand anyway).  He was about 30/15 as far as vpip/pfr goes, if that makes any difference.

Full Tilt Poker $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

SB: $141.70
BB: $160.45
Hero (UTG): $134.10
MP: $62.55
CO: $92.40
BTN: $105.05

Pre Flop: ($1.50) Hero is UTG with Ad Kd
Hero raises to $4, 2 folds, BTN raises to $14, 2 folds, Hero requests TIME, Hero raises to $31, BTN calls $17

Flop: ($63.50) 9c Jd 3d (2 players)
Hero bets $103.10 all in, BTN requests TIME, BTN calls $74.05 all in

Turn: ($211.60) 7h (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: ($211.60) 2s (2 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: $211.60
Hero shows Ad Kd (Ace King high)
BTN shows Qh Qc (a pair of Queens)
BTN wins $208.60
(Rake: $3.00)

Pretty sure this is neutral or a little +EV, given I don't plan to fold.  QQ is what I expect to get shown most often, but do you think that there are a significant number of other hands (compared to the number of QQ hands) he could have preflop?  Like 88-QQ, AQ+?  I thought if he could show up here with more PP's or AK sometimes and I can fold those on this board, it was a good play.  If he can only show up with JJ and QQ and he's going to play straightforward in reraised pot, then I suppose I could check, hope he checks, and see if I can hit on the turn (and fold if I miss).  But that doesn't seem right to me, because it does assume such a tight range for an unknown who has not proven anything, and that he would check behind the flop with that range anyway.

6 comments:

Noel said...

With villain being an unknown I wouldnt be eager to 4bet get this in preflop. I would lean towards folding actually but a call is ok too as long as you crai on the flop some % of the time when you dont hit. As played I think we can gay bet call it off as we may induce and we excpect to have plenty of equity with all the dead money in the middle already.

Bazclef said...

4bet and get it in all day, it's not even close. Dunno why we're 4betting so small, make it $38-40.

Flop is a shove.

Bazclef said...

+ GL in 2009 :D

Unknown said...

I am not sure I like calling OOP w/ a hand like AK, though I guess it would be quite disguised for exactly that reasons. I mean the only hand I hate to see obviously is AA, even KK we have 40% equity. I would 4bet to about $36 here and call it off. On the flop, I think it is a shove, because we can't CRAI with any fold equity at all, and I am not sure it widens his range much.

Mr Fickle said...

Happy new year Marc.

4bet is super standard pre flop as is flop shove.

This time next year you will be crushing 200NL at least :)

Anonymous said...

GL in 09 man hope things work great for ya!

-Willie