Tuesday, May 27, 2008

C-Betting Follow-Up

Thanks for the comments on the c-betting post I did last week.  The comments represented the pros and cons of making that c-bet pretty well, I thought.  There was a time in the past when I would have made this c-bet because I would c-bet anything at all, HU in position.  The advantage to that approach is you don't waste precious mental cycles thinking about what to do :).

I think I've swung too far the other way, not c-betting enough, for whatever reasons.  I think that the right play here is to bet.  We've got a draw-heavy board against a decent player, but we also have position and no reason when he checks to believe our hand is not good.   Whether or not betting here is correct (and I would consider it a c-bet regardless of whether it's for value), I did have one pretty big theoretical flaw in my thinking about a similar hand when I discussed it with my coach.  I said that one argument against betting is that we are in a reverse implied odds situation, but this is not really a RIO situation, as he pointed out.  If we get checkraised, THEN it's a RIO situation.  In the hand I played, it was against a loose player who was not particularly aggressive, so the bet was a bit more clear (and I made it), but my thinking about the hand was not quite there.

Poker has been pretty slow, but life outside of poker has been pretty good.  We're coming off a holiday weekend in the U.S. (for working stiffs....poker pros probably wanted to be working overtime :)).  There were no kids' games because of the holiday weekend, but I did play golf twice, went to a party down the street with a fun group of people, took my daughter to see Prince Caspian (movie was OK, but fun night with her, and we had just finished reading the book together, so she doubly enjoyed it, I think), and did some fun stuff with the kids.

The bad part is that I've packed on a ton of extra pounds over the last few years, and hit a new high after all the eating and drinking we did.  I'm like 35 pounds over the upper end of what I would consider acceptable for me, and 50 pounds over my weight when I was at 9% body fat.  My biggest problem is that my discipline completely sucks when it comes to diet, and there are just too many opportunities for crappy food and drink in my life right now.  I get a fair amount of exercise, and although I could work things to get a bit more, what I really need to focus on is diet, both in the foods I eat and the portion sizes.  I know it, but am not acting on it, and it's really bad.  In addition to my own health and well-being, I need to be setting a better example for my kids.  They're fine now, but they don't need to see their dad with a gut and not doing anything about it.  Well, you guys don't give a crap or need to know about that, but it's been on my mind today, so there you have it.  Sorry about that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Diet is the biggest factor and what I struggle with myself. I know people who have done simple things, such as eliminating soft drinks and have shed 20 pounds that way, without any increase whatsoever in the exercise department.

RakebackFAQ said...

I butchered my comments on that hand should of waited till baz answered and kinda copied him : )

About the waight im the same just dont do enough , my neice and nephew have the Wii and a game called wii fit, Its the future of exercise im tellin ya ive used it once or twice if you have some spare cash get1 The whole family will get into it, Its great fun great for kids and the yoga breaks you up if your outa shape.

Good luck