Monday, September 10, 2007

My idea for group review

I'd like to get a regular group of 3-4 folks for a group session review. Due to my schedule, I'm pretty limited and unpredictable in my ability to log on to a poker site (mostly due to work throughout the day), but I can make some time for chat, Skype, blogs, etc. So my proposal is the following:
  1. Rotate the reviewee. In other words, only one person will be the subject at a time.
  2. The reviewee will have a session for review. My idea here is to play your normal session (if you usually play 8 tables, do it for this exercise, if you usually only 2-table, that's OK, too).
  3. Commit to a session you'll use before you play. In other words, don't select the session afterwards when you see how well you did, etc. We'll do enough of these that the good and bad should come out over time.
  4. Email the first 200 hands of the session (I can help people get the hands out of PokerTracker if needed). We probably won't have time to go through all 200 hands.
  5. Schedule an hour where we can all be available....AIM, Skype, Telephone, whatever.
  6. We will go through hands in the order played...most of them will go quickly as they will be routine preflop folds. But in doing reviews before, you never know when something you think is routine, someone else will have a comment about. If anyone can figure out how to do this using remote desktop viewing, that would be cool, but otherwise, we should all be able to follow along.
If this sounds interesting to anyone reading, leave a comment with what times work (these are times to meet). I personally don't care what stakes people play -- when I played minbet, I got pretty good insight working with people from stakes above and pretty far below -- but perhaps others care.

As for me, I would be available generally from 9AM to 5PM U.S. Pacific time on weekdays, since I can schedule an hour at work more easily than I can schedule an hour at home :). I play 25NL on Full Tilt and 50 NL on PokerStars.

8 comments:

Gregory Lynn said...

I'd love to be a part of something like this but your best times seem to be my worst times, and in general, planning times ahead is not something I am terribly good at.

If the phone/skype/aim thing doesn't work out and you look to do something via e-mail or blogs then let me know by posting a comment or e-mailing me at soshhsb at gmail dot com.

grinder said...

Yep i would be up for this , i am based in the uk so im pretty sure that i could meet the timetables ,
i have skype set up can you have conference calling on skype ?

RakebackFAQ said...

This is a good idea. Iam on uk time to iam in Ireland. Another way to do it would be making a video and posting it on the blog we could each do 1 and post it on the blog and give comments on each others. Make its a regular thing and the time diffrence wouldnt be an issue. I have a cracked version of camtasia i could give all whos intrested it. If yous would like to go that way.

losbert said...

I'd be interested in this also. I'm also in the UK with Skype set up etc.

I play most evenings and will usually available from 8pm to 12/1am. Also at various times at the weekends. Probably not the most convenient times for the US but I'm sure we could work something out

I'm currently playing 25NL on Sun Poker and Battlefield Poker

Marc said...

@ rasputin: i'll definitely let you know if we do something outside of this format.

@ the others: i'll leave comments on your blogs to send me an email (pokerrow at gmail), and we can finalize logistics, format, etc. with us all on the same thread.

mongoose said...

i'd think the middle/last 200 hands might be better? i tend to watch a halo or two to get a feel for the table. if someone's doing that on 4 tables, you're looking at 75 hands or so of just tossing middling hands and watching for opponent's tendancies.

noon to 5 pm Eastern works fine for me almost every weekday.

i'm doing 25NL on tilt currently. i don't have skype, but i think i can remedy that.

Kevan's Poker Blog said...

I'd love to participate in a group review. My available time is sporadic at best, but sometimes I get an hour or so a couple of nights a week. I can be reached at bodhi at maine dot rr doc com. I have some fairly aggressive filters on my e-mail, but if you put "Poker Group Review" in the subject, it'll go to a folder other than the delete folder (I'm setting it up right now).

Kevan's Poker Blog said...

I should have noted that I do look at the deleted mail folder before I forever and irrevocably delete it, so I could spot it beforehand. The "Poker Group Review" in the subject assures me that it will be seen and not deleted. I've had this e-mail address for more than 10 years, and I get some pretty strange junk mail, 99% of which goes directly into the delete file.