Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Slow going

Life-wise things are going great.  Poker, it's been going fine, except I'm just getting in so few hands.  In the last few weeks, in addition to work and little league which have been busy, I've had:  wife's birthday, son's birthday, niece's birthday, anniversary, Mother's Day, school fundraiser (helping and attending), which have been great, but also have pretty much consumed nights and weekends.

In the few hands I have played, I've really been focusing on turn aggression, to the point that I'm maybe overdoing it (Turn AF is 4.50 in my last few thousand hands, which is significantly higher than it had been).  I'm not too worried about it because it's short term, and in reviewing hands, I'm not really spewing.  The mistakes I'm making, when I'm making them, are betting with the likely best hand but when I should probably be checking for pot control and extraction, and also making some overly tight folds.  Neither of those are good, but they won't get me in a ton of trouble.  And over that stretch, I'm getting to showdown 26% of the time, so it's not like I'm going overboard blowing people off hands or folding myself.

I did finally have a chance to play a decent session yesterday, about 850 hands, and I could tell that I was a bit rusty for sessions of any length, as my focus was not too good.  Had really good seats on a few tables or I probably would/should have quit, but instead, I just sort of backed down from confrontations with TAGs after a couple poor plays (where I slipped back into some passive play) and focused on the weaker players.  I had to really bear down to concentrate the last 30 minutes of the session, but I feel I did a decent job.  I'm going to take a detailed look later to confirm that, though.

No comments: