Saturday, August 26, 2006

My son's first year of soccer started last week. Although I don't really know much about soccer, I'm going to be an assistant coach. I did the same with my daughter's basketball team last year (although I know a bit about basketball, since I played in school), and I really enjoyed it. We try to go to all their practices and games anyway, so I don't see it as that much more of a commitment in terms of time. I like being involved, and (I think) the kids like having me out there.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that kids seem to listen to the coaches, except the coaches' own kids. I don't know how many times last season my daughter woudn't do a drill in practice or something in the game when I asked her, but as soon as the coach asked her, she did. Same thing with the coach's daughter, until I asked. Oh, well.

No comments: